Dyson Purifiers - Auto cooling and fan speed | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson Purifiers - Auto cooling and fan speed

• 9 June 2023
  • 9 replies

In cooling+auto mode, it seems the HP09 fan speed is driven entirely by air quality. Is there no way to have ‘auto’ control the fan speed based on temperature? I know there’s no active cooling but setting the fan speed based on user-defined lower and upper limits would be very useful. i.e. the fan goes from 0 at 20 degrees to 10 at 30 degrees.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 10 June 2023, 12:13

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

9 replies

Hi @jimkeir 

Auto mode adjusts the speed according to the air quality in the room. When Auto mode is enabled (indicated by an A symbol in the bottom left corner of the display), the on-board sensors will intelligently adjust the speed of the purifier according to the air quality.

The post below provides a detailed explanation on this. 

Airflow speed: The airflow speed will increase until the target air quality target have been reached. This way your purifier won't be constantly running.

Thanks - I’d got that, what I’m saying is that there’s a sensible alternative approach that doesn’t appear to be covered. I’ll see if I can find a way of filing a firmware request.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi, @jimkeir 

I do understand your point, however Dyson Pure Cool series is not an air conditioner, it’s an air purifier. 

Although they add that feature, it won’t lower the indoor air temperature by itself unless you turn the air conditioner/heater on. And there’s no point of doing that as those machines regulate their inverters by your room temperature itself. That seems to be the reason why Dyson does not have that feature, and do not have any plans to add that as well. 

In case if you do not want to feel the airflow, you can always put the machine to “Diffuse Mode” and I guess this would help. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Give this one a read: Should clear things up. 

Thanks to the people responding, but I think you may have missed the point a little. I understand how it works and I understand this is not an air conditioner. I’m saying there is a common-sense way of automating something that currently needs to be done manually, and which already has a very similar function built in.

I do understand your point, however Dyson Pure Cool series is not an air conditioner, it’s an air purifier. 

Although they add that feature, it won’t lower the indoor air temperature

These machines do have a cooling mode. Yes, it doesn’t lower the room temperature as far as other machines in the same room are concerned - it cools by increasing airflow over someone sat in front of it. I suspect you’re over-thinking things here. All I’m saying is “when it’s hot, turn the fan up”. I don’t think that’s a particularly radical suggestion, it’s what people are going to do using the remote, and is essentially the same function as the “auto + heat” mode, but with the heater off.

Hi @jimkeir

I think I understand. If there’s an increase in the temperature, then the fan speed should auto adjust. To expand on this, I’d see this an the following:

• Option to adjust the fan speed only by 1 - 2 settings. 
  • Option to toggle this feature on/off within the app. 
  • Option to set a temperate range. For example, anything above 77°F.

@Stuart. Can you make this happen or put it in front of the powers that be?

Pete. 

Exactly. This could be done with a single range option.

• If the range is not set, the fan speed is set exactly as it is now, based entirely on air quality.
  • Optionally, set a range, scaling “fan speed X at temperature T_Low or lower” to “Fan speed Y at temperature T_High or higher”. You get full flexibility of both temperature range and fan speed range.
  • Actual resulting fan speed is the higher of the speed for air quality *and* air temperature, if auto mode + cooling mode is enabled.

Excluding the UI changes, that could be done in a single line of code if you don’t mind it being scruffy.

Userlevel 1

This can e.g. be achieved with middleware like ioBroker and a small Javascript. But do you really want the fan speed being dependent upon the temperature? Remember that a dyson purifier is no air conditioning device, which is able to reduce the room temperature. 

But do you really want the fan speed being dependent upon the temperature? Remember that a dyson purifier is no air conditioning device, which is able to reduce the room temperature. 

Um… yes. Yes, I do.