HP07 - Heating, bad air quality, weird smell, and VOC issues | Dyson Community
Solved

HP07 - Heating, bad air quality, weird smell, and VOC issues

• 19 November 2022
  • 5 replies

I have purchased HP07 air purifier few weeks back. I noticed whenever I turn heating mode ON, air quality of my room takes a hit and reaches to very poor in a minute or two and later on it goes to extremes. We get weird smell as well and out of no where machine starts showing VOC as well inside the room whereas in cooling mode VOC is always 0 and AQI is below 30. God knows what is going on, customer support is also not helping. They keep resetting the machine as if it is going to do any good.

Just see the difference. One image showcases air quality in cool mode and another image showcases air quality in heating mode :(

(Edited by moderator – Tags added) 

icon

Best answer by Stuart 22 November 2022, 16:23

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

5 replies

Hi @Sheratish 

This isn’t a normal function. In my eyes, it echoed an out of the box fault. Plausibly caused by a faulty Power Control Board or Sensor. 

You shouldn’t see a decrease in Air Quality just because the heater is turned on. That is unless you’ve heater is activating a source of off gassing

Dyson usually start purifier troubleshooting with recommending you Reverting your machine back to factory settings. Reverting the machine will force the onboard software to download the latest version and potential fix. 

If you’ve done this and it’s still not fixed the problem, I’d honestly say you need to book a repair or request an exchange. I believe you have grounds for it.

Good luck 

Pete.

Hi! 

Time to time our purifier records right at the top end of the graph. It’s normally a blockage in the sensors. Some dust blow up by the vacuum. A quick wipe over resolved it. 

You could try giving these a wipe down. 

Kirby.  

The plastic wrapping hasn’t been left on the filter has it? Might be the cause of the weird smell. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Sheratish

Thanks for posting. 

Our other member have made some great suggestions. All potential causes. 

In my experience, this does look more like an environmental factor. Something @WoodenMan alluded to in his suggestion of off gassing

The activation of the heating function, which draws in a higher amount of airflow from the start, is clearly triggering the sensors to detect an in air substance, recording that on as PM10 and PM2.5. These particles are made up from smoke, industrial emissions and burning cancels, and Pollen and allergens respectively. 

If the machine is located in a draft, near a ventilation source of next to an open window, fumes could potentially be being drawn in and recorded. 

I’d urge you to undertake the advise on the following article. Keeping your purifier performing at its best. If you are still encountering a problem after this stage, try changing the location of the machine, into another room, away from any outside influences and trying to replicate the issue.  

Feel free to @me in the reply should you need any further help. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Thanks a lot everyone for taking out time and responding to this.

I had a connect with Dyson customer support team, after observing the air purifier for some time they are also surprised to see this kind of behaviour. During observation at my home, we noticed that after turning heating mode on, AQI keeps on fluctuating resulting in worse AQi as high as 958.

Dyson team has taken the machine to their lab to observe it further as they have multiple hypothesis on what might be the root cause. I'll keep everyone updated here so that if someone else face something similar in future this thread might be of some help.