HP09 Gives off VoCs in Heat Mode? | Dyson Community
Solved

HP09 Gives off VoCs in Heat Mode?

• 21 November 2021
  • 3 replies

I just purchased the HP09 Dyson Formaldehyde Heat/Cool/Purifier. I’ve noticed that when I turn on heat mode the VoCs increase from 1-4 going from good air quality to Fair air quality. Is this normal? Maybe because it’s new? I’ve definitely linked it to the heat mode as with it off for a few hours the VoCs improve then mins after I turn on the heat mode the VoCs jump up. If it is because it’s new how long should it run before that goes away? I know when you have the heater off for several months and you turn on the first time their is a odor, maybe it’s something like that? Anyone else experience this issue?

icon

Best answer by Stuart 23 November 2021, 12:42

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @DustBegone

Thanks for posting a question. 

There could be a number of factors that are contributing to this reading.

As the machine is recording a spike in VOCs, which comes from things such as cleaning products, perfumes, cooking, burning fuels and scented candles, my first thought is that there is something in the local environment that is causing the machine to pick this up.

Is there anything that coincides with you putting the machine into heating mode? For example:

1. Is a window being opened and a breeze being introduced to the room?
  2. Are any cleaning products being used in the environment around or in the same room as the machine?
  3. Is a candle being lit at the same time? 

Further to these, is the machine in Auto mode or have you increased the fan speed to at the same time of putting the heating on?

At high fan speeds the machine will pull in more of the local environment and Purifier this at a high rate, which could translate into the machine now detecting these particles. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

I keep dust in auto mode until I switch to heat manually which does increase fan speed. No other variables change. No windows or doors are opened, no cleaning products or any kind of scented products are added. I don’t even get out of bed. If it is because the fan speed increases and more air is drawn in what’s the point of auto mode? I mean if the VOCs are there but only being detected outside of auto mode that means the air isn’t clean and auto mode is pointless.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @DustBegone

I think there are few things to think about here: 

1. By heating the room you can be in turn ‘boiling off’ the VOC’s from a source somewhere in the room. The Purifier is therefore only detecting this source due to it being activated through heating. 
    • You may be able to pinpoint the source of this and identify if it is only activates at a certain times. For example either first thing in the morning or late at night. By identifying this, you could look at creating a scheduled or even setting the machine to both Heating and Auto mode to combat it. 
    • This ‘boiling off’ source could be a remnants of a cleaning product, or even as simple as left over perfume on a surface which has dried. 
  2. As our homes are not completely sealed, there could be an outside source coming in which you are unaware of. By heating said space and ‘boiling off’ the particle, you could be being picked up.
  3. Using the machine in Auto mode - In Auto mode, the on-board sensors will intelligently adjust the settings of the machine according to the air quality. You can view the Auto target in the App.

With the above points in mind, it sounds like your machine is working as expected. It is picking up a spike in the VOC’s when in heating and working to remove this.  

The only recommendation I would make is that you place your machine in Auto mode when you are using the heating feature. This will help the machine adjust to the detection of particles and increase / decrease fan speed where required. 

Hope this has helped. 

Stuart