Purifier - Severe pm 2.5 and pm 10 | Dyson Community
Solved

Purifier - Severe pm 2.5 and pm 10

• 8 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi I have my dyson hot+cool on in my son bedroom .. I'm running some vapour with peppermint and eucalyptus.. is it normal that dyson is detecting severe pm 2.5 and pm 10? 326 ... voc 4.. no2 zero. 

Thank you

(Edited by moderator – Tag(s) added) 

icon

Best answer by Charliebrown 9 August 2022, 00:40

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi @Peggy Be

As someone that has a slight obsession with Dyson technology, especially the Purifiers, I keep an eye out for bespoke questions, where I might be able to help. 

I recall a similar question being asked, where another member was using ‘Essential Oils’ - It sounds like it’s a normal interaction between the Purifier and the mineralised air. 

An extract of what I think can help…

Essential oils usually contain minerals, which I’d say in your case are being detected by the Purifier and are causing the Air Quality to spike. 

There are a couple of things I can suggest that might help mitigate the machine detecting and reacting to these minerals. 

1. Separating the machine and finding the happy medium in your home where the diffuser does not directly affect your Purifier.
  2. Check with the Manufacture of the diffuser and the essential oils to see what their recommendations are when using it in conjunction with the Purifier.
  3. Instead of using Auto mode, try the machine on a manual setting. Whilst the Air Quality may spike, if you are happy to accept this, the machine will not auto adjust the fan speed to remove the detected mineral from the air. 

I’m keen to know if this is in fact correct and answers the question you have. 

Charlie. 

Over the years we’ve collected several Dyson Purifiers. The Hot + cool and just last month, one of their Humidifiers. 

Whenever my wife lights a candle, uses a wax melt, opens a new reed bottle or an oil defused, they all throw up high PM readings. Remembering to switch them off Auto is somewhat a chore.

We’d always put this down to the proximity of candle smoke, odours etc. We even have a separate table in the lounge with them all on. I never considered it was due to the mineralisation of the air. 

Great to be able to understand a little more about how the Purifiers react. Thanks for sharing @Charliebrown!!