Sudden Chemical Odour? | Dyson Community
Solved

Sudden Chemical Odour?

• 25 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Been using the hot & cool formaldehyde for months, daily with no issues but out of nowhere it started emitting a chemical like odour. Similar to the smell of permanent marker ink. I didn't pick up where it was coming from for a day or so but determined its definitely from the machine after having it off for a period. My filter is still at least 90% but has it taken in something unusual and been compromised? I don't use chemicals around the machine, the only thing I can think of is maybe some spray hand sanitiser being used in an adjacent room which causes the VOC to rise as I walk past. It doesn't smell spoiled or rancid in any way, but is headache inducing. I've stopped using immediately on realising the issue. 

(Edited by moderator – Tags added and moved to ‘Air quality’ forum)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 1 March 2022, 12:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Jjaccii,

The issue that you are describing certainly sounds a lot like off-gassing. Please have a look at this article here which should provide some useful information for you: Off Gassing

Further, have you experienced any VOC spikes in the readings on your device?

@kellym So if I understand correctly, it's likely picking up a pollutant in my environment that it can't remove and just blowing it back through? 

The VOC reading does peak at certain points, typically during cooking/meals despite the machine being at the opposite side of the house to the kitchen. From what I've noticed 95% of the rises are warranted by a identifiable scent in the air. On a typical day it doesn't exceed yellow, but does reach the peak, before going to green after resolution. It does go the highest point of poor every now and then but resolves. The only thing I can think of is I have recently been finding my husband using it as a fan on high speed with the windows open and I've had to turn it off. 

I can't get the smell to dissipate even after closing windows, cleaning the machine. Would I need to replace the filter? Or is it purely that my environment is poor and I can't fix that. No matter where I move it, the machine creates this smell. It's currently in the living room to be central to everyone. I initially noticed this odor while all windows were shut as the smell filled the room and I thought it was coming from another room or a chemical being used at the other side of the house until I left the room and returned, realising something was odd after a half day. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Jjaccii 

I would agree with @kellym. The most likely scenario here is that there is something in the environment which is causing the machine to circulate this odour. Off gassing is the most likely culprit. However, it could easily be something that has come into contact with the machine, like a cleaning agent or an outside source. 

As you mentioned the machine is still reacting to changes in the environment, such as when you are cooking or someone is cleaning in another room, I wouldn’t be leaning towards a product issue. 

To help rule out a cleaning agent or an outside source effecting the machine, I would recommend that you follow the cleaning instruction on our ‘Keeping your purifier performing at its best’ article. This will ensure the machine is working optimally.

I do have a follow-on question however, does the smell only get emitted when the machine is cooling, heating or both? 

I look forward to hearing for you. 

Thanks, 

Stuart