VOC Calibration | Dyson Community
Skip to main content
Question

VOC Calibration

• 29 August 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi,

My understanding is that the Dyson VOC sensors (I have a BP04 and Hot/Cool) are based on a relative baseline with an algorithm that corrects the baseline as lower values are detected.

Let's say my home already had a high VOC problem before getting a Dyson purifier, after turning it on, it will find the current VOC levels as a baseline, and assuming I have a constant source of VOCs (due to some issue in the home), the baseline will never go down and will register as 0 VOCs on the purifier. Only if things get worse in this situation, i.e a newer/more powerful source of VOCs would the number go up.​​​​​​

Is this right? if so, do you recommend calibrating the sensor? I was thinking something like:

1. Power off the machine and unplug it to reset the baseline.
  2. Open the window​​​​​​ for a bit (assuming outside VOCs are lower)
  3. Plug in machine, keep in off but enable continuous monitoring, and leave the window open for a bit (maybe 5-6 hours)
  4. Close window
  5. Observe VOCs

I assume this would catch an existing off gassing as well as step #3 would establish a newer baseline which is lower. How long do I need to leave the window open with the machine on continuous mode?

This is exactly what I am experiencing with my machine. Just enable continuous monitoring, open a window and close it after a few minutes. You will see that the VOC value will go up afterwards.

I agree, it will be good to get some clarification here.

@Stuart  maybe?

Thank you for this question. I’m experiencing the same problem and came up with the same algorithm as you described.

When I open window with turned on my BP03, then after closing the window it will spike the VOC to level 4 and start cleaning the air. The bad thing is that VOC level won’t get down and BP03 is still running the fan. I have to turn it off (but with continuous monitoring off) or plug it off to reset VOC and force re-calibration.

I assume, that even though VOC was 0 before opening the window, the air outside is probably still better and VOC sensor changes its baseline.

It’s not very intuitive and I’m curious, if this is a problem or feature.

It would be fine to get answer from someone more technical oriented :-)