VOC produced by Dyson at lvl 10 | Dyson Community
Solved

VOC produced by Dyson at lvl 10

• 11 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi!

We had our machine constant at lvl 10 for quite some time to help our baby sleep. One day I came into the room and it smelled like burning rubber or something definitely not normal. VOC was high, obviously. We turned off the Dyson for a few days. 

Now, we have the Dyson on auto, however, it occasionally spikes back to high and then to fair. Prior to all this- our Dyson was always on green. Is our machine broken now?

(Edited by moderator – tags added)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 12 January 2022, 09:41

View original

3 replies

Hi @lindsaytmadge 

This isn’t something I’ve experienced myself, but it sounds similar to another question posted here some time back; VOC level. I thought it could help you with your issue... 

The ‘off gassing’ and ‘What VOCs are and where it comes from’ parts could help.

Pete.

Hello!

I did see that post- but the room has not changed/ no new furniture/ and the sudden strong rubber smell is what led me to believe it was the dyson itself. We haven’t had the smell again since turning it off and allowing it to be on Auto. BUT- the VOC level monitor is *now* constantly shifting into severe with no clear reason why.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @lindsaytmadge

Thanks for posting a question. Due to the nature of your issue, where you have indicated a burning smell coming from the machine, I thought it best that I reply.

In terms of VOCs, these are most commonly produced from sources such as cooking, burning fuels, perfumes and/or cleaning products. My first thought would have been that there is either a VOC source being produced in the local environment or from the outside environment coming into the room, and the machine is therefore reacting to this. However, as you have mentioned that you believe the burning smell may have come from the machine itself, in the first instance and if this is the case, we need to advise you to stop using your machine and request that you contact our local customer support team. They will be able to run through further diagnostics and discuss the next step. You will need your machine to hand when making contact.

I can see from your account that you are in the USA. If you could please contact our local WhatsApp channel, explaining to them our conversation, a member of the Customer Service team will be able to offer further support. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks, 

Stuart