Battery for v7 sometimes works sometimes not | Dyson Community
Solved

Battery for v7 sometimes works sometimes not

• 25 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Good afternoon Dyson Community?

I have a V7 motorhead which although is several years old is still very good.  The only issue is that if you do not use it for a day or two the battery only lasts about a minute.  However I have found a fix for this.  If you put it back on charge and wait until the blue light goes out (a few seconds) you can use it again for the full 10 to 15 minutes.  You can do this more than once but the battery will only last about 15 minutes in total so the second time you do it it will only last a few more minutes.  When the yellow light goes on then it needs to be fully charged for a couple of hours.  I have checked the connection to the machine as suggested elsewhere and it is good.  This does not happen if you charge the machine and use it immediately it is charged.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? As my brother and my wife’s sister have had the same problem so there seems to be a problem with either the battery or the charger in this model.

I am wondering if there is anything that can fix this and what causes it?  I am reluctant to buy a new battery or charger as I can get a full 15 minutes cleaning from by doing my little trick.  The only problem is if I go upstairs then have to come back down within a minute as the charger is downstairs.  The other problem is explaining to others about the trick especially the wife.

Please could someone help me on this?

Thank you

Norman

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 27 November 2023, 17:50

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

3 replies

@NAWATTS It does sound like the battery may need to be replaced. But also, I suspect there’s a partially blocked airway as the yellow light usually indicates an overheating issue, which explains why the machine wouldn’t work again for some time. Start by giving the filter a good clean and checking for blockages.

Please load up and follow along with this video, which will guide you on most of the places to look - many of which may not be obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37SO5vHutD8

Thank you for the response sorry I have only just seen it. I have checked the airways a few times since the problem started and also bought a new filter which helped the suction but not the battery problem. As I said before I can’t believe it’s a battery problem (or at least a battery storage problem) because as soon as I put it on the charger after it has stopped within a minute then it immediately keeps going for another period (sometimes 10 or 15 minutes). I believe that shows that it is not a blockage or overheating and it cannot possibly charge again in that short a time. I am an engineer and wonder if it’s a problem with the battery circuitry rather than the storage in the battery or more worrying the charging circuitry especially if I decide to replace the battery. It’s a pain starting cleaning then having to plug it back in to the charger for a few seconds to finish the cleaning but that is how I have got round the problem at the moment. As I also said my brother and also my sister in law has the same problem. 
Hopefully someone can help. Thank you. 

Hi, does anyone have any idea on this situation?  Thank you!