big and quiet smells | Dyson Community
Solved

big and quiet smells

• 11 January 2024
  • 1 reply

I have had a new Big and Quiet purifier BP04 since December 30th of 2023. About a week ago I began to notice an odd order, like a rubber glue scent, at all times the machine is running, almost 24/7 except when I’m venting CO2 from the space.

ive checked the carbon filter smell checked and the HEPA filter separately, after removing them, but there doesn’t appear to be an unusual source. 

I’ve restarted the machine after unplugging a dozen times.

is the source the motor, fan, or exhaust channels? Is there a solution?

icon

Best answer by Jack 11 January 2024, 13:30

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Sjrdragon,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for letting us know about this!

Brand new machines can occasionally give off a slight temporary odour. Carbon is a sponge-like filter, and can passively collect small quantities of odour-producing gas from the plastics during the transport and storage process. This can then be released when the machine is initially used, especially if the temperature and humidity is high.

We normally expect any odour to subside after a short period of use, but if you’re finding this is continuing, it’s probably best to get in touch with our regional Customer Care experts to run through some further troubleshooting checks to determine the cause.

Visit Dyson.com and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a live chat conversation with our Customer Care team. If you find all agents are busy when you contact us, please do try again a little later as we have good resource on live chat during normal working hours.