Brush Bar Problems - Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Vacuum | Dyson Community

Brush Bar Problems - Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Vacuum

• 27 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello Community,

My wife bought a Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Vacuum in 2020 which MSRP was $699.99.  This was the most we had ever spent on a vacuum.  I will admit that functionally this is the best vacuum that we have ever owned.  We seem to keep having problems with the brush bar it seems to get out of alignment then destroy the plastice becoming more and more out of alignment until it will not function.  We have replaced the whole head assembly, sent in to Dyson, replaced only the brush bar (which is part of the head assy) and most recently sent in again where they replaced the head assembly.  Considering the age of this and the value of the vacuum we are quite suprised that we have had so many problems.  I clean the brush bar before ever use and this is one of the models that there is no filter to clean.  I always check to make sure that there are no blockages.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening, as it stands Dyson has suggested I take advantage of my warranty that doesnt expire until 2025 but I would much prefer a working unit.  Since a exchange or credit does not seem likely I was hoping someone has a suggestion.  At this point I just might go buy a Shark as I have no faith that the replacement of the head assembly will fix as we have tried this solution already.  Has anyone else continuously had this problem?   

Thank you

6 replies

Hey,

Welcome onboard! This is news to me! I’m not even sure I’ve seen it on Reddit! Maybe it’s just the model you have 😬! 

The resident Guru @DavidTaylor shared their manufacturing experience, focusing on part failure. I thought this could help you make a decision. 

All manufacturers have an acceptable failure rate on a product line or batch. For example: Less than 5%.  Replacements, returns and refunds usually quash anyone vocalising their experience. 

I suspect you’re seeing a manufacturer defect, falling within this percentage. With the size of manufacturing, it’s doubtful you’ll see a reoccurrence on another replacement.

As you’ve had a reoccurrence, and it’s broke in the same way, I’d ask, if the Dyson is adequate. Is it possible it gets stuck or sits super low on the carpet? 

Check the warranty if it covers the replacement and repair of parts or replacement of the machine. An exchange may very well be forthcoming if you reference the this.

Kirby. 

Hi.

I’ve just discovered this community while I was looking for info to help me work out why the brush bar has stopped spinning on the main floor tool on the Cinetic Big Ball Vacuum I purchased in Nov 2020. My vacuum is used every day to remove cat and dog hair from rugs and now that the brush bar isn’t working I have to use an ancient i.e. 1980s ‘brush-o-matic’ to remove hair manually from the rugs.  I found a Youtube video that shows how to dismantle and ‘fix’ the Carbon Fibre Floor Tool - but it’s a bit complicated for me to understand. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @HB55,

Welcome to the Dyson Community! We’d be happy to help advise on troubleshooting - please can you let us know if your Dyson Cinetic Big Ball™ vacuum is an upright or cylinder/canister model? From what you’ve described, it sounds like a cylinder variant. 

Hi from the South Island of NZ

My vacuum is the canister model 

Thanks 

Helen

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @HB55,

Thanks for confirming!

The key pointers to check are -

• Make sure the rotating brush bar itself is free from any tangled threads, hair or debris. It’s easy to remove the brush bar using a coin to unlock the end cap - check both ends of the brush bar are also free of any obstructions or tangled hair.
  • While the brush bar is removed, make sure the airway through the Turbine head is free of any blockages.
  • Check the mesh air intake on the side of the Turbine head is free of any dust, fluff or hair - airflow needs to enter through this mesh to power the turbine which drives the brush bar.

If you need further help after giving this a try, please contact the Dyson New Zealand Customer Care team directly. You can find their contact details here.

Hi again

I did all the things you mentioned and everything looked to be fine.  But the brush doesn’t spin and the only way I can get the vacuum to pick up animal hair is to use the clothes brush on the rugs first and then remove the head from the vacuum and use the nozzle to pick up the clumps of hair I’ve removed from the clothes brush. Not a practical or fun way of cleaning the house before I have breakfast.   I’ll follow up with the NZ team as you’ve recommended.

Many thanks

Helen