Does the Formaldehyde removes smells? | Dyson Community
Solved

Does the Formaldehyde removes smells?

• 19 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’ve been using my hot and cool formaldehyde for a few months now and have noticed if I have candles or wax melts on, and have my device on at the same time I can hardly smell the candles/wax melts and was wondering if the device removes smells or just toxins in the air? This is not something I was aware of when purchased. I’m happy for it to remove dust etc as it should, but not smells in a room? Can anyone assist? Thanks

(Edited by moderator – tags added) 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 23 February 2022, 15:19

View original

3 replies

Hi. 

I think it depends on the distance. My Wife has a candle lit most evening. It’s the other side of the room from our purifier. Doesn’t seem to react. 

Its a different case however if we have it on auto. Fan speed increases and it’s harder to pick up the scent. 

Do you use auto? If you do, I’d suggest putting it on a lower fan speed. 

How close is the candle/wax melt? Maybe try putting it on the other side of the room. 

Barry. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I’d have to agree with Barry. My partner does the same. 

I actually move the candle a little closer in an attempt to get the smell out of the air. (never goes down well)

Putting it on the other side of the room sounds a safe bet.

Charlie. 

Hi there,

It looks like Barry and Charlie have some great relatable experience they've shared.

I can confirm that Dyson Purifier Hot+Cool Formaldehyde units are designed to filter out and remove 99.95% of pollutants and allergens as small as 0.1 microns. This will include things such as dust, gases, odors and domestic fumes. While lighting a candle wouldn't be seen as a pollutant to us humans, it will definitely look that way to your machine. 

As it relates to smells, a good point brought up by both is while Dyson purifiers will be effective against odors (good or bad – such as fishy cooking smells, candle scents, or even smoke), it’s worth noting they won't remove odors at the source. The 360° filters will draw in air from all around the unit. As a result, they’ll only be effective in removing smoke or other smells from the air.

With a continuously burning candle, the distance from the source will definitely make a difference with how much you'll be able to notice the scent in the air. Moving your purifier further from the source can help. An alternative would be to lower your fan speed (as Barry suggested), or power off your purifier while your candle is burning. This way the two won't be fighting against each other. 

I've gone ahead and linked you to our What are the common household pollutants? post from the community. It will include some great examples of household pollutants, along with a link to our site with some additional information on indoor air pollution, if you were interested.