Dyson Airwrap Abroad - Japan vs US | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson Airwrap Abroad - Japan vs US

• 23 February 2023
  • 14 replies

Hello,

I am traveling to Japan for an extended time, but live in the US. I am looking to buy a dyson air wrap to have with me in both places. I was wondering if it would be better for me to buy in Japan (slightly lower voltage than US), and use that one or buy in US and use that one. 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 24 February 2023, 14:51

View original

14 replies

Hi @amazing_hair 

As long as the product is being used in a country with an electricity supply within the same range as that of where the appliance was purchased.

As you’ve mentioned that Japan has a slightly lower voltage than US, those manufactured in the United States of America operate on 120V and 60Hz.

I’d recommend giving our Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler/Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer - Can I use it abroad/overseas? a read.

Userlevel 1

Hi @amazing_hair 

As long as the product is being used in a country with an electricity supply within the same range as that of where the appliance was purchased.

Define “within the same range”. Is 120V within the same range as 100V?  What about vice-versa

Userlevel 1

@amazing_hair  - One thing to consider. Dyson US will not even let you enter/register a serial number from Japan (XXX-JP-xxxxxxx). From that I gather that they do not offer warranty support, even if used in compliance with the user manual.

If it were me, I would buy US and use it there. BUT…. Prices there are about 60% of what they are here.

Hi, 

I would like to know if my Airwrap from Japan (100v) can be used in Minneapolis, USA (110v-120v). 

@Adelineteo07 This has been asked and answered - Dyson Airwrap Abroad - Japan vs US | Dyson Communit

Hi, it doesn’t really answer my question.  Will the airwrap from Japan works in the USA since the voltage differences is not big?

Hi, it doesn’t really answer my question.  Will the airwrap from Japan works in the USA since the voltage differences is not big?

It hasn’t be designed to work cross territories, so no. Take it with you and see, if it works let the rest of us know 😂.

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I would like to know if my Airwrap from Japan (100v) can be used in Minneapolis, USA (110v-120v). 

WARNING: Dyson will not honor the warranty of a Japanese unit that has been exported, whether you actually used it outside Japan or not. They are so committed to ensuring that you don’t get support that Dyson support reps cannot even enter your serial number into their system. And Dyson service centers cannot even order the parts to repair your unit.  Very disappointing for a “premium” product line.

That said...

The answer is absolutely not as simple as “No”. Unfortunately, complicated, the responses from “experts” here provide very little useful information. 

First, you need to check the label and see if your unit is 50hz (N. Japan) or 60hz (S. Japan). For “dumb” electronics (i.e. a $10 curling iron) frequency does not matter. But the Airwrap contains digital logic which may be frequency sensitive(1).  If your unit is 100V/50hz, I can’t advise you how to proceed.

If it is 100V/60hz (S. Japan):
Dozens of people on the internet (both sides) say yes. My knowledge of electronics, AC power suggests yes.  All of my daughter’s US electronics worked fine in Osaka. Dyson says the Airwrap is designed (1) for use in that country and “may become inoperable” without any further information. 

That said, the “NISSYO industrial transformer NDF-1500U” stepdown transformer will deliver step 120V/60hz power down to 100V/60Hz, exactly what you will find in S Japan.  It is rated for 1500W continuous, more than enough to power the Airwrap. If you use such a supply, and have any problems with the unit, it WAS NOT the power that caused it. Anyone who tells you otherwise knows very little about AC power. That said, Dyson does not test or recommend any converters, which is truly shameful when selling $600 “state of the art” curling iron that cannot auto-sense supply side voltage.

(1) - Lack of design, if you ask me. Most modern devices are designed to operate at a wide range of voltages, and 50/60hz. Dyson’s labeling (one voltage, one frequency) suggests that they did not install an autosensing power supply. Probably to save money. 

Userlevel 1

​​​​​​

@Adelineteo07  - I wrote a long explanation. Hopefully the moderators publish it. The answer is not as simple as “no”.

@100VUser , thank you for your response and I hope that the moderator can publish your explanation or at least give user an option on how we can utilize the airwrap when traveling.  I don’t understand why Dyson cannot give a straight up answer or provide a solution to an issue that they have created for the users by not considering dual or multiple voltage options and instead created multiple voltage tied to country. 

All the answers from Dyson I see relating to this topic seems robotic.  I hope Dyson can provide me with a clear yes or no for me to use the Japan Airwrap in USA. I am starting to regret buying this airwrap.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@100VUser , thank you for your response and I hope that the moderator can publish your explanation or at least give user an option on how we can utilize the airwrap when traveling.  I don’t understand why Dyson cannot give a straight up answer or provide a solution to an issue that they have created for the users by not considering dual or multiple voltage options and instead created multiple voltage tied to country. 

All the answers from Dyson I see relating to this topic seems robotic.  I hope Dyson can provide me with a clear yes or no for me to use the Japan Airwrap in USA. I am starting to regret buying this airwrap.

Snipped from their The Dyson Airstrait™ straightener, Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler and Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer - Can I use it abroad/overseas? article. 

Userlevel 1

@Charliebrown  - The content you posted (that others have posted many times) does not answer the question. I have stated that, and @Adelineteo07 has stated that.

The question is: “Will the airwrap from Japan work in the USA ”

These are not a valid answers:
“they may become inoperable”
“I’d recommend giving our {another vague post} a read”

Especially considering that the example given is 220V and Japan is 100V.

@Adelineteo07 - I posted a detailed explanation discussing the realities of moving products between Japan/US above. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I’ll do my best to answer them.

If you are going to be traveling back and forth, Dyson’s solution is to buy one unit for each continent. I recommend you buy a different product that can handle international travel and does not look for any excuse possible to leave you stuck with a $600 paperweight.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Unless someone has actually travelled and used it, and can comment the answer will always be, read Dyson official response. Just because you believe this is vague, doesn’t mean that it isn’t right.

If you’re after an answer, mine would be NO, it isn’t recommended. 

I travelled frequently to and fro Asia countries for business and I already have another airwrap for 220v .  Frankly, I am not buying a third airwrap for USA.  Frankly, I just cannot be bother with Dyson hair products anymore and am tired of not being able to get a simple straight answer or an alternative solution like, perhaps a power converter, etc.

I will just stick to my good old hair dryer and hair brush.  Not going to get anymore non-dual voltage-stuff from Dyson now if they are not able to innovate their products to cater to frequent travelers.

Many thanks to @100VUser in trying to help me find an answer. I will check if my Japan airwrap is 100v/ 50hz or 60hz.  If it is 60hz, I will try to use it during my USA trip and will update you.