HP04 high pitched humming sound whilst in quiet/night mode | Dyson Community
Solved

HP04 high pitched humming sound whilst in quiet/night mode

• 10 November 2021
  • 10 replies

I love my Dyson as a purifier/heater, but it’s always made an intermittent humming noise when it’s on low speed. It’s really annoying and I can only sleep in the same room if I use ear plugs. It’s not a very loud noise, just an annoying one that fades in and out all the time. Does anyone know what’s causing this?

(Edited by moderator – tags added)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 15 November 2021, 10:35

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

I have two that do this(HP07 HP09) and  bought at the same time, pretty much useless at night, both make weird chirping sounds usually at low speeds, it fades in and out like you mentioned as well which is actually more annoying... Hitting it / dropping it makes it stop for a little while like someone said.

I probably won't get any more because of this unless they change something... I did just recently get one of the humidifiers that doesn't have this issue for me... But it is putting off almost no humidity... I can sleep with it in the same room at least, so that is a plus. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi there,

I am having the exact same issue on 'night mode'. Very high pitched noise. I have found that lifting it up about 5cm from the ground and dropping it seems to temporarily resolve the issue. 

We have the HP07.

Hi @Ben.B.NZ 

Sorry to hear that you’ve encountered the same issue.

In terms of the advice you’ve offered on dropping your product, we’d strongly advise against this and anyone else following this recommendation. Asides from the complications that could come with doing this to your product, such as electrical faults or product damage, it is against the terms offered in the guarantee and could void it.

In accordance with the printed compliance leaflet put in the box for our Heater Purifiers (this has been attached to my reply for reference), if dropping your product is something that you have done, ‘Do not use this appliance if it has been dropped or if it has visible signs of damage.’. Please stop using your appliance immediately and contact our AUS customer support team directly through their Facebook Messenger channel and explain to them that you have come through from the Community site and that your product has been dropped. 

Feel free to @Me directly if you need further help with this issue. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Hi there,

I am having the exact same issue on 'night mode'. Very high pitched noise. I have found that lifting it up about 5cm from the ground and dropping it seems to temporarily resolve the issue. 

We have the HP07.

So I contacted Dyson and they are arranging a pick up and repair of my HP04. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @benjaminglanville

A high pitched/grating sound doesn’t sound right to me.

Though you may be out of guarantee, I’d expect the team to be looking at offering an inspection.

Could you please get in touch with our GB&I customer support team via our WhatsApp channel and explain to them that you have come through from the Community site. They will run you through the next steps and should look to book an inspection of the unit. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

@Me again if you need any further help on this. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Exactly, the only way to solve this turn off the power completely 😂😂😂

Thanks. Yeah I tried changing the tilt of the fan, unplugging and restarting, turning continuous monitoring of off… it still makes this noise in low fan speed settings.

I’ve got the similar issue. While mine is off, but it’s one ready mode, it always got this wired sound, I be to twist the fan to a little bit. The sound will stop a bit. 

Ah, I’d turned off continuous monitoring after reading the forum. It’s not that. It’s not actually a particularly loud sound, just really high pitched/grating in a way that’s not conducive to sleeping. 

Unfortunately, although it’s done this ever since I’ve had it, I’ve only just reported it to Dyson and it seems it’s been 2 years and 2 weeks since I bought it, so I’m concerned it’s too late to get a replacement or refund. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @benjaminglanville

Great question, thank for creating a post about it.

There are a couple of articles in the Knowledge base which should help answer this, but as I’ve seen it come through a few times from different owners, I’ve added it as a fixed article to our Common questions section.

You can view it here - My machine is making a humming noise, what does this mean?

When the machine has Continuous monitoring active, some users may hear a humming sound. This is caused by the onboard sensors. Turning Continuous monitoring off in the App will stop this sound from occurring. 

Read the ‘Using Continuous monitoring’ article to learn how to enable and disable this feature.

@Me if you have any follow up questions or if the noise is still present after turning this feature off. 

many thanks, 

Stuart