My Dyson hot/Cold Air purifier is putting out a chemical smell | Dyson Community
Skip to main content
Solved

My Dyson hot/Cold Air purifier is putting out a chemical smell

• 25 June 2024
  • 6 replies

As per this post - 

I have exactly the same issue and cannot seem to get past it. It causes terrible headaches so cannot use it which is annoying now that summer has finally turned up. As the original post said, it smells like permanent marker pen or photocopier ink.

Any ideas?

Thanks

This inactive topic has now been automatically closed. For help or advice, please create a new topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @skewbie,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

So we can advise further, are you able to let us know if your machine and/or filter is new - or has it been in use for a while?

We’ll look forward to hearing from you!

Hi Jack

The machine is 3yrs old, used irregularly. The filter is showing as 75% health.

EDIT: I have also opened the filter the and vacuumed out any visible dust etc.

Thanks

Steve

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @skewbie,

Thanks for this additional information!

As with the information given in the previous conversation you’ve linked, it does sound like this could be an off-gassing scenario.

If the inner Activated Carbon filter layers (or Activated Carbon filters if your machine has separate filters) has become fully saturated by gases, VOCs, pollutants or other substances they've been exposed to within the indoor environment, these could begin to release - which would explain the odour you’ve noticed. Depending on the environment, it’s possible that saturation could occur ahead of the filter life timer showing as fully depleted.

Just vacuuming surface dust and debris off the outside of the HEPA filter is unlikely to help if the Carbon layers are saturated. In the first instance, we’d recommend replacing your filters as we would expect this to fully resolve things.

You should be able to find a suitable replacement filter or filters here. If the filter you need is out of stock, please use the Keep me updated option so we can send an email alert when more stock is available.

Hi Jack

Thanks for the response. I opened the filter  chassis and removed the liners and there was a lot of plaster dust in them. I have hoovered all that out and am leaving the fan running  in a separate room to see if that smell goes away. If not then I’ll replace the filters.

Cheers

Steve

Further to my experiment, it made no difference to the smell. I’ll have to replace the filters.

Steve.

Update: New filters purchased and replaced and the chemical smell has gone.

Steve.