Pure Hot + Cool Noisy | Dyson Community
Solved

Pure Hot + Cool Noisy

• 1 July 2022
  • 7 replies

I've had the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Link for about 6 yrs now and have been putting up with a low to medium pitch motor whine at fan speeds slower than level 3. While it is tolerable in a large siiting room or during the day when I'm awake, it is annoying during the night when used in the bedroom and the fan drops to the low speeds in Auto which causes interrupted sleep.

Please listen to these audio recordings on my Google drive and advise if this is normal. There is no difference between Hot or Cool modes.

1. Unit off on continuous monitoring https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gaAncyYmk74QGD21M4b1TlDOiON1F8nB/view?usp=drivesdk

2. Unit on at fan level 1 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gkltKqyZ6t048zJIDtIGTA6NZ-xKRSsf/view?usp=drivesdk

3. Unit on at fan level 2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gq6YF7FIMbnPE6RPdOVB0Ui6vusT3iII/view?usp=drivesdk

icon

Best answer by Stuart 4 July 2022, 12:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi @lopsl 

I’d had a similar experience. 

I ended up mailing the customer care department last year. After a little back and forth, they identified the Continuous Monitoring as being the culprit. 

Try switching it off and seeing if that helps!! 

C. 

Hey @lopsl 

Ever the helper. This noise is mentioned in a topic created by the CM.

Switching Continuous monitoring off should help 😊

Kirby. 

Thanks @Charliebrown and @Kibbleb for both your suggestions to turn off continuous monitoring.

I have done that before as well.

The only impact of turning off continuous monitoring is there is no longer any low level hum when the machine is turned off using the remote. This is what I expected and observed as the fan does not have to run at all.

However, it doesn’t reduce the level of the whining noise when the machine is in Auto mode and the “A” turns green, which is when the target temperature (in heating mode) and/or target air quality is reached.

As I understand it, at this green “A” point, the fan drops to its lowest speed (which looks like “01”) to sample the air quality and temperature so that it can run up again when the temperature drops below the target temperature (in heating mode) and/or the air quality is worse than the target level.

So turning off continuous monitoring has no impact on this lowest fan speed, hence there is no difference to the whining noise level compared to when continuous monitoring is on. That is what I expected and observed.

I don’t know what kind of fan motor is used in the design of this machine, but usually fans run quieter at low speed. The whining noise in this fan reduces when it runs at higher speeds.

Some of what you’ve posted is beyond me.

I could subtracted that the ‘A’ you mention is when the auto mode has been reached. I don’t think that has any bearing here. 

Have you tried cleaning the air intake / exhaust? Replaced the filters? 

Comparing a noise to that of a hoover, if there is a blockage at lower suction a noise could be heard. At a higher speed, it might not..

If there isn’t, might be something Dyson or an electrician needs to look at? 

@Kibbleb thanks for your comments.

As an engineer, I am interested in how things work in detail.

You are correct the A being displayed turns from white to green when the target level is reached in Auto mode.

The machine is clean and I’ve also run it without the cover and filter as well without any difference in noise level observed. So it is not an issue of blockage.

My machine is a generation 1 model, bought at the end of 2016.  I understand there is a generation 2 model and I wonder if it manifests this behaviour also.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Working as a developer for a very prestigious washing machine brand and other mid - large sized companies over the years, I can tell you without a doubt that you’ll never find out specifics on business IP. 

That includes the detail around their build process in any detail, pasts that which is released by their marketing and PR department. 

It does sound to me that there’re two points here.

1. You’re interested in how the machine operates, compared to the latest generation. 
  2. The machine you own is making a noise, that you don’t think is right.

With no experience in the latter, you’d have to wait for someone else to comment and confirm if they’ve personally experienced this noise. 

On the former, have you contacted Dyson directly for a comment or a request for technical information? Though I doubt they’d supply anything, you could try. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @lopsl

Thanks for posting a question and sharing the recordings. 

From what you’ve shared, it sounds to me that the machine has a low-grade whistling/whining noise, which is more apparent at the lower fan speed level.

This can be caused by several factors, the Filter(s) blocked and/or unseated, the outer shell misaligned and/or the loop amplifier being damaged, unseated or blocked. Other factors could also contribute to this, such as if the machine has ever been dropped or carried by the loop amplifier.  

There are a few easy-to-follow checks, which can help us identify why this is happening. You’ll need your machine to hand to do these. The best place to start is our online support guide.

Simply following our Guides and manuals link, select your machine from the list and click on the ‘Troubleshooting’ option. From here, navigate through to the unusual noise option. 

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Thanks, 

Stuart