What happens to old Dyson batteries, are they recycled? | Dyson Community

What happens to old Dyson batteries, are they recycled?

• 15 February 2023
  • 6 replies

I recently replaced the battery for my Animal V6 at the new Dyson store in Dallas. I casually asked the employee how the old batteries were recycled. He said, "We just throw them away."

Surely Dyson doesn't landfill all these used lithium ion batteries encased in plastic to landfills. They can and must close the loop on the batteries and the plastic used in their products.

The employee seemed new. Was he not fully trained or does Dyson really throw away used batteries? 

Jack 1 year ago

Yikes, @Jamana - I'm sorry to hear you were given this incorrect information – I appreciate that's not a great experience and we will feed this back for you.

Just to reassure you, Dyson machines are made of high-grade materials. At the end of their lifespan, we make every effort to ensure these are disposed of responsibly wherever possible. This does include recycling used Dyson batteries and machines received via Dyson Demo stores and Dyson Service Centers.

View original

6 replies

Hi @Jamana 

I truly hope that the employee was joking or at the least unaware of what Dyson actually do.

I’ve actively shared my view on sustainability at Dyson on recent posts. It really is a subject I don’t believe they talk about enough or feature at the top of their environmental activities. 

For starters, they operate a directive called ‘WEEE’ in Europe. Recycling responsibility, not throwing materials out. Read it for yourself on the WEEE - Recycling link. I would assume they follow similar directives on a globally level. 

They share a yearly report on their own sustainability, which isn’t hidden away like other companies. It can be found by search the web, visit their site or click on Sustainability at Dyson and Sustainability - The bigger picture to read it. Dyson USA have shared similar information here: https://www.dyson.com/sustainability.

I am interested to hear what recycling scheme/directive they’re part of or operate under in the states. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Naively, I've never had this consideration when purchasing. It’s been at the top of my list when I’ve looked to Recycle. Either passing it on for repair for free, giving to charity for repair/as used or taking to the central recycling depot. 

Great to see that there’s people asking these questions and answering them! I am now reading Dyson’s sustainability page. 😅

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yikes, @Jamana - I'm sorry to hear you were given this incorrect information – I appreciate that's not a great experience and we will feed this back for you.

Just to reassure you, Dyson machines are made of high-grade materials. At the end of their lifespan, we make every effort to ensure these are disposed of responsibly wherever possible. This does include recycling used Dyson batteries and machines received via Dyson Demo stores and Dyson Service Centers.

Is there anywhere, other than Service centres, I can take a battery to be recycled?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @caseyphilip_2000,

Absolutely - you don’t have to take the battery to a Dyson Service Center to have it recycled. Many other household recycling centers will accept unwanted batteries for recycling, so we’d recommend checking which options are available to you locally.

If you’d like more guidance, our local Dyson Customer Care team are best placed to offer advice. Visit Dyson.com, open the Dyson Digital Assistant and click the agent icon to chat with the team.

Hope this helps!  

Good evening! 
Leaving currently in Sydney Australia, I was wondering how I could get my old V7 battery recycled & more broadly, I will be curious to understand how you are adopting sustainability within your supply chain, particularly in Australia.

(thanks for your support / in my world, Dyson customer service is always referred as the best!)