The Dyson Airstrait™ straightener, Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler and Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer - Can I use it abroad/overseas? | Dyson Community
HAIR CARE - COMMMON QUESTION

The Dyson Airstrait™ straightener, Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler and Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer - Can I use it abroad/overseas?

• 19 December 2022
  • 30 replies
The Dyson Airstrait™ straightener, Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler and Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer -  Can I use it abroad/overseas?

Show first post

30 replies

I am so upset I could cry😢 when you bought my Dyson Airwrap (saved and got it brand new) nowhere did it state that it only works in the country I purchased it in. I got it so I could take it with me when I move to America later this year and come to find out I cannot do that.. it’s so upsetting that Dyson is keeping that under wraps so to speak.. it should be all over the Airwrap page… now I’m out £600 and can’t use it.. honestly.. I don’t know what to do.. is there anything I can do to make it work in the states?

Userlevel 4

@Ineta I said it before and I will say it again, this isn’t new! They’ve never guaranteed use internationally, on any of their products, they just don’t plaster it all over their products!

If you read the fine print in the manual, they have a line that absolves them of any responsibility in case the machine malfunctions. You use it overseas at your own risk! 

If you wanted to use it, you might want to investigate a step up converter. This changes the local voltage into a higher one for use with electrical products purchased overseas.

@Stuart Hello Stuart! I read your post about using Dyson airwrap abroad and I see that Dyson don’t recommend to use the machine in countries with different voltages. But what about the plugs? I mean for example I have Dyson airwrap with Chinese plug (voltage in China is 220), can I use it with plug adapter in Spain where the voltage is the same but the plug is different?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @kessi,

Thanks for your question!

Where the voltage of the country you purchased from and the country you’re travelling to are the same, your machine should work as normal. But please note, we don’t recommend using a travel adaptor with your machine as we can’t guarantee it won’t cause damage. As the adaptor hasn’t been manufactured or tested by Dyson, we’re not in a position to offer any assurances around its safety, quality or functionality. For this reason, we have to advise that any damage caused as a result of using a travel adaptor may not be covered under your Dyson guarantee - so any repair or replacement parts needed in future could be chargeable.

I hope this helps with your decision-making!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Can I use an adaptor or an electrical convertor?

“We don’t suggest the use of an adaptor or converter to use your device in another country...”

...good to know.  Thanks for the info, Stuart.  :)