Change Fan Speed on Heat Setting on Dyson Hot & Cool | Dyson Community
Solved

Change Fan Speed on Heat Setting on Dyson Hot & Cool

• 11 October 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Although I can change the fan speed on the Cool setting of my Purifier Hot & Cool, I can’t change it when it’s on the Heat setting - it just blasts out, even if I move the fan speed to 1.

Is this normal!?

(Edited by moderator – tags added) 

icon

Best answer by Stuart 15 October 2021, 13:30

View original

18 replies

Hi @BBritchford 

I use my Hot & Cool in the same way. I don’t have a problem though when using the app. 

I can change the temperature and the fan speed independently from each other and it just works. I’d say what your seeing isn’t normal

My physical remote plays up sometimes and I use the app instead. Interested to know if you have the same issue when using the physical remote or just the app? 

Pete

Hi @BBritchford i have the same issue. There seems to be no control speed on the hot setting. It’s on full blast or nothing. Have you looked into this? 

thanks Dave 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @BBritchford & @davebrookes02

This is s strange one. I’ve been trying to replicate this on my side, but I’ve not had any luck. Please could either of you offer some further information on how your encountering this? 

Is it through the controls in the app or via the physical remote? 

If it’s on the App, are you able to change the input (increasing the speed) and the machine doesn’t react or is it that you are unable to change the settings at all? 

I’ve attached two images showing what I’m seeing on my App; is this the same for you? 

Talk soon, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1

Hmm, so it’s interesting that Dave has the same issue as me but Stuart and Pete don’t. 
it doesn’t matter whether I use the remote or the app - I can turn the fan speed down to 1 when the device is on the heat setting, but it makes no difference - it still blasts air out at a very enthusiastic rate.

I’ve just had a play with seeing what fan speed the heating fan speed compares to, on the cool fan settings - in heat mode it starts at about fan speed 4 or 5 for a few seconds and then ramps up to what seems to be maximum speed. I am completely unable to change the fan speed at any point whilst it’s in heat mode. It doesn’t seem like that should be the case, particularly if two of you are not having this issue. I guess I’d better get hold of Dyson then!

Thank-you so much for your input 😊

Userlevel 1

Me again. I’ve just spoken to Dyson and it does appear to be an issue with the item. They are going to exchange it for a new one.

Hopefully you can do the same, Dave 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @BBritchford. Great to hear that you’ve been able to get a resolution.

This was the direction I was thinking of heading in, but needed to check that it wasn’t as simple as a physical remote issue. Say if the App worked but the remote didn’t.

If it were both (like what you’ve experienced), then this indicates a error on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and an exchange / repair would be best.

@davebrookes02 if you need further help on this, please get in touch via our local WhatApp channel and one of our team can run you through the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Hi @Stuart Have started the conversation with Dyson on WhatsApp so just waiting as we speak, thanks everyone for their help and information.

🤞🤞

Hi @BBritchford & @davebrookes02

This is s strange one. I’ve been trying to replicate this on my side, but I’ve not had any luck. Please could either of you offer some further information on how your encountering this? 

Is it through the controls in the app or via the physical remote? 

If it’s on the App, are you able to change the input (increasing the speed) and the machine doesn’t react or is it that you are unable to change the settings at all? 

I’ve attached two images showing what I’m seeing on my App; is this the same for you? 

Talk soon, 

Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

I am having the exact problem as @BBritchford and @davebrookes02 . I can control my fan speed on the cool side, but on hot, when on speed 1 it appears to have just one speed i think 8? And it does not feel that hot at maximum temperature. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Stuart, 

I am having the exact problem as @BBritchford and @davebrookes02 . I can control my fan speed on the cool side, but on hot, when on speed 1 it appears to have just one speed i think 8? And it does not feel that hot at maximum temperature. 

Hey @Mayunfei

It sounds like you’ve encountered the same issue. 

If this issue is only present on the physical remote, you may need a new one.

If it were both the in App remote and the physical remote, then this indicates a error on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and an exchange / repair would be best.

Please get in touch via WhatApp. Our team can run you through the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

I am having the exact problem as @BBritchford and @davebrookes02 . I can control my fan speed on the cool side, but on hot, when on speed 1 it appears to have just one speed i think 8? And it does not feel that hot at maximum temperature. 

Hey @Mayunfei

It sounds like you’ve encountered the same issue. 

If it were both the in App remote and the physical remote, then this indicates a error on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and an exchange / repair would be best.

Please get in touch via WhatApp. Our team can run you through the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

Thanks for the update, the issue occur with both the remote and the app.

I'll contact the team, thanks. 

Help!! This is happening to me too!! Not a problem in summer but winter is bad. It’s full blown heat or nothing….

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Help!! This is happening to me too!! Not a problem in summer but winter is bad. It’s full blown heat or nothing….

Hey @laynlogue 

That isn’t mean to happen. I am sure we can point you in the right direction to get this resolved. 

Please get in touch via WhatApp. Our team can run you through the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Help!! This is happening to me too!! Not a problem in summer but winter is bad. It’s full blown heat or nothing…

Hey @laynlogue 

That isn’t mean to happen. I am sure we can point you in the right direction to get this resolved. 

Many thanks,

Stuart

@laynlogue @Stuart

Apparently this is meant to happen. I had the same problem which I thought was an issue. Sent mine back to Dyson, the board was replaced, on return the issue persisted. 

I messaged back to complain and a Dyson engineer contacted me. Its not a fault but a feature to help the room get to maximum temperature, once its reached the fan speed reduces to normal. 

I wish that's not the case, as I rather have the room temperature increase slowly and not disrupt me working or a sleeping baby. 

See below for message from the engineer. 

"So the issue you have described is not a fault with the machine it is a design feature, when you increase the desired temperature on you purifier it overrides the fan speed setting in order to heat the room to your requested temperature you cannot adjust the fan speed to a lower setting whilst the machine is attempting to increase the temperature of a room"

Hope this helps, apparently I was told it's also in the manual.

Regards 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Mayunfei 

Thanks for highlighting this.

I’ve been testing my HP07 to see if I can replicate this behaviour. 

I can only do this when I have both the Heating and Auto mode enabled. If the Heating mode is enabled without the Auto function, it is allowing me to set the desired fan speed. 

I want to make sure that this isn’t just on the until I have available to me. Are you able to confirm if this is what you are seeing with your machine?

Thanks, 

Stuart 

Hi Stuart, 

In manual mode, with heating temperature reached I cannot control my fan speed. It stays on what seems like speed 2.

When set to auto mode with heating enabled, I still cannot control the fan speed regardless of temperature.

So it seems something is off here lol. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Mayunfei

As I want to make sure we’re not crossing our wires and that the machine I have isn’t on an outdated software version, I’ve raised a request with the Environmental Care tech lead, asking that they confirm the expect behaviour in the above scenario(s).      

As I post this, my HP07 (heater purifier) is detecting the local temperature at 20Celsius, and by switching this to 30Celsius, I am experiencing the following.

Heating, with Auto mode enabled

With heating active and Auto mode enabled, the fan increases its speed automatically. This is to help it reach the selected temperate as quickly as possible. This is covered in our Using Auto mode article.

The only caveat I would give to this is that, if the machine meets the temperature it goes into Idle/Standby, and manually increasing the fan speed doesn’t change the machines speed / output. This is until it detects a drop in either Air Quality and/or Temperature. 

Heating, in manual mode

With the heating active, and manually changing the fan speed, I am able to see a noticeable difference between the lowest setting (1-4) and the highest (5-10). This however isn’t as noticeable as when the machine is in cooling. 

Again, the machine does go into idle/standby once the temperate is met and again, manually increasing the fan speed doesn’t change the machines speed / output. This is until it detects a drop in either Temperature or the temperate is increased. 

Once I hear from the Tech lead, I can confirm on the expected behaviour. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Hey @Mayunfei

As I want to make sure we’re not crossing our wires and that the machine I have isn’t on an outdated software version, I’ve raised a request with the Environmental Care tech lead, asking that they confirm the expect behaviour in the above scenario(s).      

As I post this, my HP07 (heater purifier) is detecting the local temperature at 20Celsius, and by switching this to 30Celsius, I am experiencing the following.

Heating, with Auto mode enabled

With heating active and Auto mode enabled, the fan increases its speed automatically. This is to help it reach the selected temperate as quickly as possible. This is covered in our Using Auto mode article.

The only caveat I would give to this is that, if the machine meets the temperature it goes into Idle/Standby, and manually increasing the fan speed doesn’t change the machines speed / output. This is until it detects a drop in either Air Quality and/or Temperature. 

Heating, in manual mode

With the heating active, and manually changing the fan speed, I am able to see a noticeable difference between the lowest setting (1-4) and the highest (5-10). This however isn’t as noticeable as when the machine is in cooling. 

Again, the machine does go into idle/standby once the temperate is met and again, manually increasing the fan speed doesn’t change the machines speed / output. This is until it detects a drop in either Temperature or the temperate is increased. 

Once I hear from the Tech lead, I can confirm on the expected behaviour. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Hi @Stuart

You hit the nail right on its head with your description. I've replicate exactly what you mentioned, which made me think that the machine is faulty? Because even when it reached the desired temperature and the fan speed subsides, I still have no control over the fan speed in manual mode. 

Same with auto mode, there are changes in speed as you described. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Mayunfei,

Great to hear we’re seeing the same thing. 

When heating, and using the manual fan speed buttons, you’ll only see the fan speed increase if the temperate is higher than that on the display/shown in the App. This is as the machine is idling/ in a standby state.

You can freely select a fan speed when it is in this idle/standby state, it is only when the machine detects a drop in the temperature that it will begin again and at this new fan speed.

You can test this by placing the machine in Heating, setting the temperate to that below the environment and setting the fan speed to whatever you wish. By increase the temperate to that about the local environment and the fan will start producing warm air at this select speed.  

Hopefully this helps answer the question and offers reassurance that it isn’t a fault. 

Thanks, 

Stuart