Dyson hot + cool - Remote control range too short | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson hot + cool - Remote control range too short

• 19 January 2023
  • 9 replies

• Novice Member
  • 4 replies

I purchased a hot and cool fan in December 22. The fan does not respond to the remote control at more than 120 cm from the fan. When within 120 cm the temperature change does not respond very quickly and sometimes skips 2 degree.

A replacement machine acted the same.

Somebody I know has an older model with identical looking remote that respond at 3 metres

Is this a machine manufacturing fault or inadequate machine design 

Does anyone else have this problem?

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added/Moved Category)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 20 January 2023, 16:06

View original

9 replies

Do you use the Dyson Link App at all? I control my Purifier that way. Saves me time getting up and faffing about with a physical remote. 

My model only has infra red remote control

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Fan 

Generally speaking, various factors interfere with the transmission of the IR signal. 

Most common is the belief that IR transmission don’t require a clear line of sight between the transmitter (the remote) and the received (Your Dyson). IR transmission is a wireless protocol based on a type of light, it can’t transmit through solid objects, walls, or ceilings, unlike WiFi or Bluetooth.

Ambient light, especially sunlight, can additionally overload or desensitize the sensor on the electronic device and cause it to miss signals sent from the remote control. If you use several infrared remote controls at once, they can also interfere with each other by scrambling the IR code. 

These factors aside, I’ve review the manuals for all old and new Dysons, looking for anything else that may help, and I can’t see any resource showing the operation up to 3m. I’d be interested if you could share this. 

@Spencer is right. If you are truly struggling, at distance. Using the virtual remote in the App would somewhat resolve your issue. These two articles may be of interest to you. 

Downloading the Dyson App | Dyson Community

In-App remote control | Dyson Community

David.

The short range operation is with no impediments extraneous light or obstacles.

My manual and the website does not give the specification for IR range.

A virtual remote only works if my phone has IR which it doesn't unless you mean the WiFI app which my fan does not support, it's IR remote only.

Hey @Fan

Being somewhat of a Dyson hobbies, I’ve looked through the material I have for my first and second generation fans. I can’t see anything related to distance of the remote. This distance might just be the maximum allowed. 

It is quite possible the remote needs a new battery. It could have been sat in a Wearhouse for a while before shipping. The same said for the replacement you received. Have you tried changing the battery to see if this improves the distance? 

There is an old trick I know of that you could use to check if its working at distance. A mobiles camera will pick up on the IR receiver blinking when you use the remote. Try using your camera before and after replacing the battery to see if there is a notable increase in range.

Jay

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @JayJay @DavidTaylor

Great that you’ve both shared your insights here. 

If I may also make a suggestion, based on what Jay highlighted. If the IR remote is working within 1.2 metres and struggling at range, even acting intermittently, the cause could be the remote control. Either a weak battery or a faulty IR transmitter. The latter being less unlikely here, due to a replacement recently being provided. 

If replacing the battery (How to replace the remote battery for a Dyson air treatment machine) does not work, and there are no environmental factors hindering the transmission, then there is a quick check that can be undertaken on the machine. If the display or machine action does not change by holding the power button down, then it could be feasible that the Power Control Board (PCB) controlling the machine is faulty. If this does change, and the IR remote is still not operating at a distance more then 1.2 metres, the IR receiver may have developed an issue. 

In either case, @Fan an inspection and potential repair of the machine would need to be undertaken. To arrange this, please contact our helpline experts who will talk you through the next steps. 

Simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation. If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Can you expand on what you mean by if the macine action does not change by holding the power button down. Which power button ?

I have had 2 machines that have the same 1.2 metre range problem and it did not change when replacing the battery

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Can you expand on what you mean by if the macine action does not change by holding the power button down. Which power button ?

I have had 2 machines that have the same 1.2 metre range problem and it did not change when replacing the battery

Hi @Fan

If you are unable to control the machine, by either switching it on or off using the power button located on the purifier, then it could be feasible that the Power Control Board (PCB) controlling the machine is faulty. 

As you’ve mentioned you’re experiencing the same on two machines, which in itself is very odd, I wonder if the IR receives are interfering with each other. Could you try turn one of them off at the electrical socket and retest.

Thanks,

Stuart

Thanks for your responses.

I only have one machine. The original purchase and a replacement sent when I phoned dyson about the problem.

The machine power button functioned on both

Dyson have verbally said that the remote range is 1.2 to 2 metres, but I have seen nothing in written specs.

In my opinion, if true,  this is a design spec fault not a manufacturing fault.