Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: Golden rules for curl retention | Dyson Community
TIPS - HAIR CARE

Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: Golden rules for curl retention

• 25 April 2023
  • 6 replies
Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: Golden rules for curl retention
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

When using the Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler, there are two key reasons curls can sometimes drop out prematurely.

1. Trying to style hair that’s already dry - when hair dries, those molecules in the hair that contain water are already set in place. By forcing these into a new shape, they may not be able to hold it for long.
  2. Using the wrong barrel for your hair type, which may prevent a firm and lasting hold. This is because not enough of those molecules in the hair that contain water are being shaped to retain the style.

In both cases, curls can end up loosening and dropping out quicker than expected. Thankfully, our team of dedicated experts have come to the rescue with their Golden Rules for curling with the Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler, which should help you achieve a longer lasting curls. 

Our initial advice would be -

• Always begin with damp hair, and then make sure your curled hair is completely dry before you switch off. A damp curl won’t hold!
  • Finish each curl by holding the cool shot button for 5 to 10 seconds. This helps set the shape and style.
  • If you have particularly fine or straight hair, the 40mm/1.6inch barrel will probably create more of a blow-out style, rather than a curl. Try using the 30mm/1.2inch barrel instead.

Not everyone’s hair is the same - textures, shape and density vary. If you’re still struggling, try these further tips:  

• Experiment with how damp your hair is when you begin styling. Does it make a difference starting from a little wetter or dryer? 
  • Experiment between using high heat and high airflow. Even on the highest settings, the Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler does not use extreme heat. 
  • If you’re using a spray bottle to dampen your hair when styling between washes, make sure the water has a chance to soak into the hair. Your hair should appear visibly damp when curling, and feel cold to touch. 
  • Add additional hair product as needed – a mousse to wet hair, or hairspray to the finished style.

Want to watch a quick, step-by-step guide to achieve your ideal style?

Take a look at our Tips for achieving your style and Tips for longer lasting curls articles. 

Related community articles

Hair Care: How can I tell what my hair type is?

Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: How to curl your hair

Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: Tips for longer lasting curls

Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: Understanding the attachment and accessories

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Bluejeans83@SalonSally@CurlyJane@Airheads@YellowLemon

As our most active members in our Hair Care category, with over 125+ comments between you, I felt it was only right to tag you in this new article.

Although we’ve shared our own advice and recommendations, I’d love to hear your own opinions and include any of advice you have. If you or anyone else feel critical information is missing, or wish to provide any feedback, please add this to the comments 😁. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Heya @Stuart 😍! What a GREAT Idea!!

I love that you’ve included the attachments and accessories post! It’s super important to pick the right barrel and not to use too many products when the hairs wet!! 

THIS IS A MUST WATCH!

Ariel 😙

x

Don’t forget about me!! My airwrap arrived last month. It’s my first dyson and I love it!

Hey @Bluejeans83@SalonSally@CurlyJane@Airheads@YellowLemon

As our most active members in our Hair Care category, with over 125+ comments between you, I felt it was only right to tag you in this new article.

Although we’ve shared our own advice and recommendations, I’d love to hear your own opinions and include any of advice you have. If you or anyone else feel critical information is missing, or wish to provide any feedback, please add this to the comments 😁. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Heyy @Stuart! I’ve had a very smug smile for the last hour! Thank you for the recognition😎!

I’ll certainty remember to refer here if I see anyone asking about curl retention. Thanks 😘.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Ohhh @stuart. Thank you 😍!!
I’ve already passed this onto the girls in the salon! They love it! x 

Can I just say, the Airwrap is the best piece of hair technology I have ever owned! Where it use to take me between 45 - 60 mins to blow-dry and curl my hair, I’m now doing this in a third of the time!! And not having to get a separate hair dryer/curling tongs out! One very happy bunny! 😃!