Hair Care - Excessively oily/greasy hair - Help! | Dyson Community
Solved

Hair Care - Excessively oily/greasy hair - Help!

• 21 October 2022
  • 11 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi all!

I got the dyson airwrap in early October! And I love it!!

It works well smoothing my hair, so well in fact that it gets oily/greasy faster.

Instead of my pervious hair wash routine, where I was washing two/three times a week, I’m up to five.

Any insight would be great!

icon

Best answer by SalonSally 21 October 2022, 15:10

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi

It sounds like the Air wrap may be drying out your hair and scalp. We see this in the salon where a client hasn’t used a hair oil, heat protector/spray or haven’t dampened their hair sufficiently. 

As a stylist, an easy recommendation is to always start with slightly damp hair and use a heat protector. It will help your hair stay healthy, stop it from producing overly excessive oils and even stop your scalp from dying out.

Not everyone’s hair is the same, so you may need to try a few brands before you find the right one for you. 

If you're unsure where to start, pop into your local salon. If the team are anything like mine, they will be happy to talk you through the best options. 

Sally 😀 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

if you didn’t want to go into a local salon, there seem to be a few posts on the Community that might help you understand your hair type a little better. I’d recommend starting with - How can I tell what my hair type is? | Dyson Community.

If you need some tips maintaining your hair, search for inspiration on YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram. There are so many stylists, with some great GRWM videos.   

Sally 😀

Hi @SalonSally

I didn’t know there was a stylist here! 

I use the airwrap everyday! Previously only styling 2-3 times a week. Opting to wear it up most of the time. I hadn’t considered using it so much would overly dry my hair. 

I’ll try a different heat spray, leaving my hair damper before styling. Thanks so much!! 

Hi @SalonSally,

You’re a superstar! 😍

I order a new heat spray, changed my shampoo/conditioner and left my hair a little damper. Miraculously it fixed the problem! After a week, I’m back to my usual washing routine and couldn’t be happier!

Thank you so much! 😀 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @SalonSally,

You’re a superstar! 😍

I order a new heat spray, changed my shampoo/conditioner and left my hair a little damper. Miraculously it fixed the problem! After a week, I’m back to my usual washing routine and couldn’t be happier!

Thank you so much! 😀 

😊🙏🥰

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey everyone! 👋

I absolutely love this post! I am besotted with my Airwrap! 

I’ve also noticed a subtle change in my washing routine, adding an extra hair wash into my week. Nice that I am not alone. @SalonSally recommendations helped me to no end!

I spoke to my stylist over the weekend! There really is so much about my hairs health that is tied to everyday life! I didn’t even consider this as a cause and just assumed it was my Airwrap. Changes in the weather, what I eat, my weekly exercise routine, even the shampoo and conditioner. This makes so much sense! Works been so busy I’ve dropped a PT session and I’d brought a new shampoo and conditioner set.

She recommended I start taking supplement to help. Something to do with adding oils and hydrates. Research on which ones are best starts tonight. 

I hope this helps others struggling with a change to their hair!

😀

Hi @SalonSally and @Bluejeans83 ! I am having the same issue, my roots are becoming so greasy even 1 day after washing! What heat protectant do you recommend/use? I love my shampoo and conditioner so really don’t want to switch but I could start using a heat protector! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Heya @jemrxse. I’m using the ‘V05 heat protection spray’. It’s the one in the pink bottle 🥰! 
I was using the Tresemme one, but I struggled finding it in the store. It doesn’t seem that widely stocked. They’re both still fabulous! 

I still use Tresemme as my shampoo and conditioner. I’ve not noticed a difference when mixing up the heat protectors ☺️. 

Hope this helps.
Lemon 🍋 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hey @jemrxse 

Sorry! We’ve been so so busy in the salon. December is just one of them months when everyone panics and books their Winter/Christmas cuts. We’ve never seen some many colours, cuts and blow-dries 😍! I am sure Dyson made the Supersoninc for these exact times 😄.

Oh! Someone actually messaged a month ago asking us the same exact same thing. 

It’s importantly to remember that not all heat spray help, some of the cheaper brands we've found actually cause more oil. Everyone hairs different, so you might need to find one that works for you. Once you have found one, and it works, its great and you’ll wonder why you didn’t use it before! It helps by sealing in the moisture and giving a  healthier look. The scalp becomes less dry, creating's less oil.

I use Revlon’s Professional Uniq One Classic. It comes in a red spray bottle.

If your brand of shampoo and condition has one, that’s always a great place to start. 

Sally and the team 😍

Hi!

I got my Dyson Airwrap almost 2 weeks ago and I noticed it makes my hair greasy :( I have middle-length, slightly thin hair with airtouch. I usually wash it once every 2 days but after drying it with Dyson Airwrap, it's so greasy on the second day that I immediately have to wash it.

I don't use any heat protector, only hair conditioner and I've tried drying my hair on low and medium speed with low and medium heat - but the result is always the same.

Is it possible that it has to do with my type of hair and Dyson just doesn't work for me? When I don't use it, I have natural root volume though my hair is somewhat fuzzy. Dyson makes my hair softer and tidier but almost without volume...and greasy on the 2nd day. :(

Hi!

I got my Dyson Airwrap almost 2 weeks ago and I noticed it makes my hair greasy :( I have middle-length, slightly thin hair with airtouch. I usually wash it once every 2 days but after drying it with Dyson Airwrap, it's so greasy on the second day that I immediately have to wash it.

I don't use any heat protector, only hair conditioner and I've tried drying my hair on low and medium speed with low and medium heat - but the result is always the same.

Is it possible that it has to do with my type of hair and Dyson just doesn't work for me? When I don't use it, I have natural root volume though my hair is somewhat fuzzy. Dyson makes my hair softer and tidier but almost without volume...and greasy on the 2nd day. :(

HEYA! OMG It really isn’t the first time I’ve hear of seen this posts! I actually had the same right at the beginning. By the 4th use it was like someone had poured oil in my hair! I actually followed the advice by @SalonSally! Changed my heat spray, went out and treated myself to a better brand of shampoo/condition and I’ve had smooth silky hair ever since! 

I’d 100% recommend trying the advice here! If all else fails @SalonSally. Maybe they can help? 

😍