How do I use the Airwrap on my Frizzy/Curly hair? | Dyson Community
SPOTLIGHTED POST

How do I use the Airwrap on my Frizzy/Curly hair?

• 7 February 2023
  • 10 replies
How do I use the Airwrap on my Frizzy/Curly hair?
Userlevel 2

Hey everyone! 

I got an Airwrap last month. Have been struggling for over an hour daily trying to make it work with my hair.

I started off with wet hair, like recommended. I use a frizz free products and leave in conditioner.

Instead of my curls holding, they immediately started dropping out - I even used hairspray to set them in place. I use the hairdryer attachment, firm smoothing brush and finish with the smaller barrel to set my hair.

Following a recommendation from a girl at my gym, I tried only the firm smoothing brush, used the coldshot to set my hair and completing with hair spray. My curls lasted a few hours, which was better but still not all day.

My question is, will I ever get the Dyson to work on my hair?

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hey!!

We see this sooooo much!! It is so tricky to get right, but when it does it’s so so worth it! Believe me! 😁

One of the girls in the salon has an airwrap! Wavy hair, that frizzes almost as soon as any moister hits it! Her curls though, they are to die for! They look fantastic and usually last 2 days!! Everyone asks her how she does it. Silly but we’ve never ever wrote it down 😅!

Me being me, I messaged our WhatsApp group and here’s her routine.

1. Straight out the shower, I apply a oil to my roots and serum to the rest of my hair. Leave for 10 mins wrapped. 
  2. Use the hair dryer attachment on the scalp. Highest heat and speed, until about 80% dry.
  3. Then I dry the lengths about 50%-60%, using the wide-tooth comb attachment for that!
  4. for the last 20%ish, I switch to the smoothing brush attachment on the higher heat but medium - low speed.
  5. When the lengths are about 80% dry, I start to curl!! I section my hair, making sure whichever barrel I pick is on the right way. Using a medium heat and at the lower speed setting.
  6. I hold the cold shot button for 15-30 seconds on each section before releasing.
  7. I finish with hairspray to seal it in place 
  8. 😘

We’d love to see/ hear about the results! You must share!!!

Ps. I am printing this out tomorrow as a little handout for the shop 😋

Wow! @SalonSally! I’m trying this tomorrow! Please thank your stylist for the advise 🥰! 

@MaryBonHil don’t give up!! It’s so worth it once it works for you! I’ve changed how I curl! Instead of starting the curl from the ends, I begin from the root instead! My curls look so much more defined that way!! 💋

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

My wife asked that I post this here 😬!

@SalonSally this is apparently the BEST advice she has read! 👏

She’s been spraying a little hairspray on the palm of her hand and scrunching upwards. This had helped the curls retain their bounce. No longer than a few hours. She’ll be trying what you shared after her next hair wash! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @MaryBonHil 

Thanks for sharing this with the community!

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen someone asking for help with their hair - especially with curl retention.

Happily, we have a host of resource that should be able to help answer your question. From our fantastic members, who some have already shared their advice and routines, to our very own tips on Curling on the Community - Dyson Airwrap™️ multi-styler - Tips for longer lasting curls. I don’t doubt well be able to find a solution that works for you.  

To highlight this to our other owners, and help get even more tips, I’ve added it to our ‘Spotlighted Posts’ tag and featured it on our homepage 😀!

Stuart

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey!!

We see this sooooo much!! It is so tricky to get right, but when it does it’s so so worth it! Believe me! 😁

One of the girls in the salon has an airwrap! Wavy hair, that frizzes almost as soon as any moister hits it! Her curls though, they are to die for! They look fantastic and usually last 2 days!! Everyone asks her how she does it. Silly but we’ve never ever wrote it down 😅!

Me being me, I messaged our WhatsApp group and here’s her routine.

1. Straight out the shower, I apply a oil to my roots and serum to the rest of my hair. Leave for 10 mins wrapped. 
  2. Use the hair dryer attachment on the scalp. Highest heat and speed, until about 80% dry.
  3. Then I dry the lengths about 50%-60%, using the wide-tooth comb attachment for that!
  4. for the last 20%ish, I switch to the smoothing brush attachment on the higher heat but medium - low speed.
  5. When the lengths are about 80% dry, I start to curl!! I section my hair, making sure whichever barrel I pick is on the right way. Using a medium heat and at the lower speed setting.
  6. I hold the cold shot button for 15-30 seconds on each section before releasing.
  7. I finish with hairspray to seal it in place 
  8. 😘

We’d love to see/ hear about the results! You must share!!!

Ps. I am printing this out tomorrow as a little handout for the shop 😋

Exactly what I’ve been searching for! Thank you 😁!!!!! 

Bloody LOVE this @SalonSally! Do you mind if I share it on Reddit?! 

The r/Dysonairwrap subreddit would eat this up 🤣! @everyone! You should 100% read this!! 

Another Success Story - Curling

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Bloody LOVE this @SalonSally! Do you mind if I share it on Reddit?! 

The r/Dysonairwrap subreddit would eat this up 🤣! @everyone! You should 100% read this!! 

Another Success Story - Curling

The link isn’t working for me. Can someone please share this on the chat? 🤣

@GraceWood Of course 😍!

“” Credit u/dmhu - Another Success Story “”

I've seen a few posts lately of people describing what works for them, so I figured I'd chime in after figuring out what works for me with the hope that it might help someone else.

I've had the Dyson Airwrap for about a year. When I first got it, I had some success getting my hair to curl, but then the curls started falling quickly and I was very underwhelmed. I have fine, nearly waist-length, straight hair with a tiny bit of a wave. I'm rather inept when it comes to styling, so the Airwrap has the potential to be a great tool for me. My hair doesn't like to hold a curl, period, unless my hair stylist does it. I ordered the new version of the Revlon One Step and listed my Airwrap for sale after basically giving up.

I discovered a YouTuber who specializes in blowouts and I started using his various recommendations. My hair held a curl quite well when I took his advice and used the One Step and curling iron, so I decided I'd try using the same products and give the Airwrap one more chance. It worked!! I'm now on day 2 of beautiful curls (I twist the hair on each side of my head and clip it to the top of my head when I sleep)! This is the second time I've been successful, so I know it's a repeatable process.

So in case this helps anyone who is struggling and has similar hair, here's what works for me:

- Shampoo scalp twice to make sure hair is nice and clean (Keune Color Brillianz shampoo, conditioner, and Keune Vital Nutrition hair mask on ends and mid length)

- Purology Color Fanatic leave-in spray (about a dozen sprays being sure to hit the ends)

- Redken Big Blowout Heat Protectant Jelly (pea-size amount on ends up to mid length)

- Bondbar #6 (Sally Beauty version of Olaplex #6 - pea-size amount on ends up to mid length)

- Kenra Professional Thermal Styling Spray (one spray for about every 6 inches of length on each section then combed through with a Wet brush)

That's it for products. I could probably skip the Bondbar, but I used it anyway. Mousse seems to be too heavy, but the heat protectants offers a bit of hold without weighing down my hair. I haven't used hairspray for these recent attempts for fear of adding weight. Thankfully these products still leave my hair soft. I detest the crunchy, dirty feeling that many mousses and salt and texture sprays leave. I only wash my hair about once per week, so I want it to feel clean for at least a few days before I break out the dry shampoo and don a braid or bun.

I also find that my hair likes to be more damp when curling with the Airwrap. I really don't know how to measure percentage dry that Dyson recommends. When I tried the whole, "your hair should feel dry but still be cold to the touch" advice, my curls fell within a couple hours. So I put my hair in a microfiber wrap for about 20 minutes after I wring out the excess water in the shower. That way the hair isn't totally soaking wet when I'm ready to style. Then I clip the hair into two sections on the top and leave the bottom section down and part that into two sections. I use the rough dryer attachment only on the roots each time I begin working with a section. I use maybe about a 2-inch section on the new 20 mm (smallest) long barrel (which seems to pick up the hair slightly differently than the old barrels). The time depends on how wet the section is. I usually do about 10 - 12 seconds of heat and then a 10-second cool shot, but I rely on feeling. If the hair doesn't feel hot on the barrel or feels damp after I finish the cool shot, I'll use a little more heat and then another cool shot. I turn off the air before releasing the curl. I keep a spray bottle handy in case the section starts feeling too dry. Sometimes the section is too damp and the barrel doesn't want to grab it, but the air from the barrel dries it quickly enough. I'm still working on getting more volume at the root and combating frizz, but the voluminous curls are gorgeous and I get plenty of compliments.

TLDR: For me, less is more with product for my fine hair and more is better with moisture level.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Howdy Y’all,

I was casually scrolling through TikTok and heaven behold, I watched one on the airwrap! I believe this belongs here, for everyone to enjoy. 

How to make curls last forever!

Lemon 🍋