Help. What should I call my Robot? | Dyson Community

Help. What should I call my Robot?

• 26 September 2022
  • 7 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi Everyone. 

After lots of research, much of it on the community, I took the plunge and ordered a 360 heurist.

Set up was super easy, the app guided me through every step. Kudos to Dyson. 

The only issues I've had, which for me is a BIG one, is what to name it. I grew up in the early 1980s and have a lot of Sci-Fi films in which I can draw on. 

Here's my shortlist.

1. Robocop
  1. Terminator 
  1. R2D2
  1. Bishop
  1. Johnny 5

I obviously can’t buy 4 more.

What have others called their Robot?

Has anyone got a recommendation to sway me towards one of my name? 

Anonymous 1 year ago

@DavidTaylor what a consideration. I see the value in your suggestion. I do feel the Nane is more befitting to a Purifier or environmental machine.

I’m not sure my friends, family or even my partner would recognise the Hal reference. In our house, Science Fiction started with me, and that started with Star Wars. I've had to select a name befitting that passion, R2D2.

Thanks for everyone that made a suggestions. May the force be with you. Sorry for the very cheesy line. 

Pete.

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

7 replies

I guess you need to ask yourself what type of Robot they’ll be. 

1. Robocop - Served and policed society. Ultimately a cyborg. 
  1. Terminator - The one the saved Sarah Connor or tried to off her? 
  1. R2D2 - Classic friendly droid. 
  1. Bishop - Didn’t he go mad with a god complex? 
  1. Johnny 5 - Are you expecting they’ll become sentient?

Wow! That’s a great selection of names. I see why you’ve had a problem deciding.  

You’ve forgotten the most important one, one that was as important to me growing up. CP3O.

Some great insight and one name I hadn’t considered! @Kibbleb, I always favoured R2D2 over CP30. More so that R2D2 seem more adept at handling tricky situations, while not complaining. Something I can see my Dyson doing. 

@Fishtown57 You’ve summed these up perfectly. In response, I am discounting Robocop and Bishop from the running's. I don’t want to jinx it and create a robot with a god complex or that polices my home.. That’ what my kids are for.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @WoodenMan

A inspiring list.

A little outside of the 80s era, but have you considered Hal 9000? It is from Stanley Kubrick 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

HAL is the onboard AI, and uses the mechanical, sensing, and information systems under it’s control to communicate with and control the environmental inside the star ship. Very adept in this circumstance I believe. 

David. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @WoodenMan 

Whichever name you settle on, those are some fantastic, creative options! I love seeing the passion from our owners.

@DavidTaylor what a consideration. I see the value in your suggestion. I do feel the Nane is more befitting to a Purifier or environmental machine.

I’m not sure my friends, family or even my partner would recognise the Hal reference. In our house, Science Fiction started with me, and that started with Star Wars. I've had to select a name befitting that passion, R2D2.

Thanks for everyone that made a suggestions. May the force be with you. Sorry for the very cheesy line. 

Pete.

A very worthy name @WoodenMan

May he serve you well and May the Force be with you 😁