Counterfeit Protection | Dyson Community
Solved

Counterfeit Protection

• 11 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Is there any real reliable way to check the originality of the product I bought?

icon

Best answer by DavidTaylor 11 November 2022, 12:57

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

A great question. 

It is certainly becoming incredible difficult to identify counterfeit products from any technology manufacture. With obscure retailers and smaller stores appearing on social platform, 3rd party sales pages and even direct as web adverts, it isn’t easy to spot a counterfeit at first sight. 

The first give away for me is when these businesses are selling branded products at such as discounted prices, when compared to purchasing direct from the manufacture. In this case Dyson. When the price is so cheap, I ask myself if it is legitimate.

Now this doesn’t of course stop 3rd part sales. eBay, online marketplaces and the like. There are steps I take to try and weed out the fakes. Asking for a proof of purchase from a recognised retailer or directly from the manufacture. Where able, I request more images and inspect these for obvious issues.

In everyday, terms for me it is about research, knowing the product I am purchasing well enough to query or sense when something doesn't seem right. Usually in these cases, it isn’t. Purchasing direct is the only real way to avoid risk in this area, but I even find it hard to avoid bargains every so often.

I recall a similar post last month, where the author was unsure if they had brought a legitimate product. After the wider community responded with some ideas (including me), the Community team provided quite a comprehensive response - Identifying counterfeiter - Dyson Supersonic.

Either contacting them direct or visiting their Identifying fake Dyson technology and websites checking if a product is genuine.

David. 

David’s 110% right!!

Buying direct is the only way to avoid scammers, fake products and potentially unsafe products.