Incompatible Power Lead | Dyson Community
Skip to main content
Solved

Incompatible Power Lead

I purchased a Dyson Supersonic Fuschia hairdryer via “OnBuy.com”. It was delivered to my UK address. I naturally expected it to be a standard UK spec product but It does not have a UK spec power plug - only a 2-pin continental version.
I only became aware on delivery that it was an imported foreign item supplied by WeiWei and I am not able to exchange the product as the seller was not interested in financing the return and re-delivery - instead they gave me a full refund (surely more costly for them but, heyho!).

Anyway, I know I can use an adaptor but I understand that, using an adapter plug reduces the power output slightly. Therefore I am considering cutting off the continental plug and fitting a UK 3-pin version to circumvent the adapter issue. Anyone any thoughts? (packaging says 240v compatible).

This inactive topic has now been automatically closed. For help or advice, please create a new topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @MyDys,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

I can confirm that all genuine Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryers manufactured for sale within the UK, and purchased from Dyson direct or one of our official retail partners, would include the correct 3-pin plug for UK sockets.

I would strongly encourage you to contact Dyson Customer Care directly, so we can help ensure your machine is a genuine Dyson hair dryer and not a counterfeit.

To get in touch, please visit Dyson.com and click Support.

We’ll look forward to speaking with you!

I have already been in touch with Dyson Support and all they could say was that they would not entertain any “international guarantees” - whatever that means! I purchased it on line via OnBuy.com believing it to be a genuine Dyson product. Only when it was delivered did I become aware it was supplied by WeiWei (the actual seller). OnBuy could only recommend me to contact the seller so I was no further forward as they refunded me the complete purchase cost instead of arranging a return for exchange. Hence I began to doubt if WeiWei ever actually have a UK spec product.

Anyway, my actual question was whether I can just cut the power chord and fit a UK type G 3-pin plug instead.