Out of warranty repair - Terrible customer service | Dyson Community
Solved

Out of warranty repair - Terrible customer service

• 2 December 2022
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1

Very bad customer service!! Hair dryer broke, just out of warranty, Dyson won’t replace, will cost $400 to fix. Terrible product and customer service.

(Edited by moderator – Moved to a new category/ Tags added) 

icon

Best answer by Stuart 8 December 2022, 09:47

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

25 replies

HEY girl! What a rubbish excuse! I couldn’t be without mine! Not even for a single day 😖😬🤦!! 

Heya @citygirl! I’d be sooooo lost without my straighteners! My hair and life would be a mess! I even binned my old pair when I got my Dyson set.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi y’all! 

Put a hold on the reins! We don’t even know how far out of warrant it is! I’ve for one always had a great experience with Dyson Service! 

If it’s a few days outside, then shame on them. If we’re talking weeks or months, then I for one think it’s perfect acceptable. I’d do the same in my business. No one can expect a free lifetime service.

I don’t mean to be the voice of reason.

Lemon 🍋 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @citygirl,

I can sense your frustration here, and we’d like to see what we can do to help. Can you let us know which country you’re in? 

Userlevel 1

United States

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @citygirl

Thanks for confirming. 

If you're already been in contact with our customer service experts, we’d usually encourage to you continue your conversation with them as this is the best way of arriving at a resolution. We’d like to understand this situation better however and see if we can support you and them in a resolution, within the terms of our service. If you could please drop me a private message with your name, contact details, address and the serial number of your machine, I’ll have our local moderators look into this. 

Best,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @citygirl 

It would be my pleasure to check into this for you. Can you DM me here? I’ll take some details from you and see what we can do to make this right!

Best wishes,

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Good morning, @citygirl 

Just a heads up, please be on the lookout for an email from me, from askdysonUS@dyson.com.

Best wishes,

Userlevel 1

I am also extremely disappointed with Dyson service! Bought a supersonic dryer 4 years ago.

Quit working yesterday, just stopped while trying to dry hair. Called customer service and was told there was no resolution! To spend that much money and be told it can't be repaired? Was not expecting anything for free since out of warranty, but nothing can be done ??

Userlevel 1

That is pretty much my experience. They don’t make our part apparently anymore so they have offered nothing.  Ours was just out of warranty. I really don’t know what to think abt a company who offers no resolution to a problem other than go buy the newer better product. It’s not good. The competition does not do this. Very disappointed!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi y’all, 

I must say, I don’t agree with the bad press given to dyson! They have always been super when I’ve spoken to them. They even offered me an owner's reward to trade up to a new machine. It’s the reason I now have two supersonics!  

I personally don’t know of any other hair dryer maker that repairs the product after the warranty has expired. Who are these competitors you speak of?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Everyone. 

Great to see a healthy conversation taking place between our members. 

I thought I’d step in to help answer some of the questions raised. 

1. Dyson provide a two-year guarantee against their Hair care category. This guarantee covers the repair or where necessary the replacement of, as well as ongoing support of the machine. These are of course stipulations within and certain terms that need to be met before an action is carried out. A full list of these terms can be viewed on the local Dyson website. Simply click on the Dyson link and search for ‘The Dyson guarantee’. An example can be seen on the UK website here - The Dyson guarantee.
  2. In the instance that a machine cannot be repaired, either within or outside of the guarantee, our customer service experts are ideally suited to discuss the options available to you and look to arriving at a resolution.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1

I was not offered anything. Their answer was "no resolution ".  Given how much these units cost, they should last longer. Was not given ANY options. I own several Dyson products and was very disappointed with this situation. 

I am 2 months over my warranty and they will not help me at all.  My air wrap will not work and they said it needs to be replaced but there k my solution is to buy another one at full price. 

Userlevel 1

As previously mentioned, bought my supersonic 4 years ago and I LOVED it, so much so I decided to purchase an airwrap a year ago. When my supersonic quit (literally, stopped working while in use) my hope was it could be repaired. (not expecting this be for free).  After multiple calls to customer service and a conversation with a service center technician, was told there was nothing that could be done. The dryers are not made to be taken apart so no way to repair.  I was offered a % off a new dryer which I am sure they see as a generous offer, however, I was not willing to spend $300+ again to have the same possible result. Very disappointed to pay a lot of money for something that does not last any longer than dryers costing a lot less. Since I do not use the airwrap as much as the supersonic, my hope is it will last a lost longer. Love the technology, not a fan of the dependability and out of warranty options. 

Userlevel 1

same experience. very curt service. Useless advice. told me to drive to their repair center about 30 miles away from me. No warranty repair. 

backstory: I purchased 3 dyson hair dryers, 1 hair straightener , and a vaccum cleaner  dec 2 2020, as christmas presents for my family. 

One of the units stopped working dec 21, 2022...no power. you would think that they would be a little lenient on their warranty, seeing as it was just a few weeks out. 

but no sympathy at all. the rep did the “let me talk to my manager” bit...but that lead nowhere.  So they have earned a very  dissatisfied customer. 

it’s within their rights, but I must say I will never buy another dyson product, and will let everyone about my opinion. 

In fact, I just placed an order for a Shark Vac instead of a V15. 

Userlevel 1

The main issue with this is the main component broke and Dyson does not make that piece(replacement), so it can never be fixed … ever. So they know as a company if that “main” part breaks and you are 1 day out of warranty you have no choice but to buy an entire new unit. So the response about the warranty is not accurate and VERY misleading to the consumer.  
they offered nothing to help other than to purchase a new one. I am sorry… I am in sales this is a horrible way to do business. 
you do not sell something that it’s main component can not be fixed… 

it’s like buying a car and if your Engine goes (out or a part of the engine) the dealership says I’m sorry your out of luck you have to buy a new car. It’s not right. 
their phone customer service was horrible. The people in person in Dallas said they should replace because there are no options to fix this. That is Dysons fault for making a product, selling it to the consumer and misleading you with the “warranty” statement. 
it should read. If the main component breaks after your two year warranty is up Dyson does not make replacement parts for this so you will have to purchase a new product. 
That is what is should say and be transparent!

We have a lot of Dyson products like I have mentioned earlier. They have lost my business 100% 

very disappointed!!

Userlevel 1

Hi y’all, 

I must say, I don’t agree with the bad press given to dyson! They have always been super when I’ve spoken to them. They even offered me an owner's reward to trade up to a new machine. It’s the reason I now have two supersonics!  

I personally don’t know of any other hair dryer maker that repairs the product after the warranty has expired. Who are these competitors you speak of?

Read my response. They are misleading and make a product that can not be fixed. That is NOT stated in their warranty. They are dishonest and have handled this very poorly. When the service center people tell us they should replace the product bc they don’t make the replacement part that is an issue!  A big one. We have lots of Dyson products. They break I get them fixed. No problem… this I have an issue with. The warranty and sales people need to tell you if the main component breaks and you are out of warranty you have to buy a new one because we do not make replacement pieces. Wouldn’t that he more honest and I probably would have bought another product that can service the equipment better. That is my issue. I am not looking for anything for free. I am looking for company consumer support which we got 0. They have lost a really good client over this. But when you read their reviews you see I am not the only one. My daughter loves her hair dryer I almost bought another but decided I would not support such dishonesty  and absolutely 0 help from them. Not a good way to keep customers coming back or happy. Especially someone like me who owns A LOT of their products. 

I have to say everything about this post rings true. I had a similar experience with customer service and was told to go to the repair center when Dyson knew full well the unit would not be able to be repaired. The service center is impossible to reach as they are open a few says a week with limited hours. I was actually twice promised a refurbished unit as a replacement, but it never arrived. When I contacted AskDyson the service center lied and said I had never contacted them and then they sent back the broken hairdryer. It’s all a scam — you complain online and are told to DM Dyson as a means to look responsive but then are eventually told “no resolution”. What a terrible company. 

Hi @Concerned,

I can understand how frustrating this must be, and we’d like to see what we can do to help. Can you let us know which country you’re in? 

Thanks,

Jodey

Userlevel 1

Don’t waist your time. That is what they do. Act interested. Ask what country. Go through the entire thing with you when you end up with…. No resolution.  
They have been turned into the better business Buero..

No worth my time or money. 

Don’t waist your time. That is what they do. Act interested. Ask what country. Go through the entire thing with you when you end up with…. No resolution.  
They have been turned into the better business Buero..

No worth my time or money. 

The poor girls only trying to help!! 

I think you’ve made your point. Frustrated, angry, inconsolable. nothing will salvage the situation. So complain and move on!! They’re not going to give you a free dyson for the trouble. Your warranty expired. They don’t have to repair it. It’s their choice. 

Userlevel 1

I understand the warranty. Sucks that a product breaks  at 2 weeks after warranty expiration. Sign of a poorly engineered $400 product. 

Userlevel 1

here is final update:

As stated before:

purchased a Dyson hair dryer in dec 2020.

Unit failed end of december 2022

1. called Dyson customer service (mid January 2023). they told me to bring it to service center. 
  2. I went there today, about a 1 ½ hour round trip
  3. very polite and professional. the tech told me it was unrepairable, the motor was burnt.
  4. Told me to call customer service, maybe they could give me a discount on next dryer if I so desired.
  5. I called customer service today. Very curt. 
    1. “nothing we can do.” was her response. 
    2. Very unfriendly and cold. 

I am really not happy with Dyson 

• reliability of these units are poor. Seems to me that the MTBF (meantime between failure) of these units, judging from the online comments seem to very low. 
  • MTTR  (meantime to repair) seems to be infinity, as they are not repairable. It is wrong to design a $400 unit that cannot be repaired.

engineering at Dyson: you guys are really poor at your job. If any of my teams  had designed such a product I would have fired them. 

I had the same exact experience with my Dyson supersonic. They had me go through all of the steps that I had already done just to say that they'd helped me and at the end said your product is out of warranty, you'd have to go to a service center which the nearest one to you is 6 hours away. And now I'm hearing from everybody above that even if you did take it into a service center they can't fix it anyway. I've had my Dyson since March of 2019 and could have bought 4 $100.00 dryers and still been ahead. I also have 2 of their vacuums and have another hair dryer at home, and will not be buying any more Dyson products and will tell every hairdresser I know not to do so. I was under the impression that even if this product was out of warranty I could still have it fixed. A waste of $400 . I wonder if anybody will even reply to this from Dyson. So so so so Frustrated! Any suggestions on a different brand of blow dryer to purchase? Any help is appreciated!!!!