Supersonic - What is the wattage? | Dyson Community
Solved

Supersonic - What is the wattage?

• 12 February 2023
  • 2 replies

How much power does my hair dryer use? I know that it is 120Vac, but I want to know how much actual power is required. 

I looked through the owner’s manual, and it doesn’t say. Nor does any label on the device, which is weird. This is basic stuff, as a person should be able to plan for his power needs on one circuit.

Thanks.

(Moderation edit - Moved to a NEW question/Tags Added) 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 12 February 2023, 17:37

View original

2 replies

Power!? Do you mean Wattage? If so, it’s 1600. Really easy to find, I just googled it and was directed to their technical specifications 

Yes, I found it. Thanks. There are three settings though, and it would be nice to know what the middle and lower settings are. 

For the record, 1600W will trip a standard circuit in a house, if it goes long enough. Maximum load for a standard home is 1500W on a single circuit. Dyson and all other mfrs of these products make assumptions that you won’t have them running for more than about 20 minutes, so the breaker never gets a chance to heat up enough to flip at that load. A lot of breakers won’t ever trip at 1600W, and it’s not that big of a deal. But if you are using a converter overseas, and it is rated for 1000W, it is perfectly plausible to think that the middle setting might be okay if it doesn’t go too long. 

But really, Dyson could make its power cord handle 120 or 240 with the flip of switch on their supplies with the greatest of ease. It would not be automatic full range power supply like all of our laptops...that is more work (though we’d all pay for it if it was available). 

It’s a luxury product. Give us what we want, and we’ll pay it.