Cordless buyers beware! | Dyson Community

Cordless buyers beware!

I contacted dyson costumer service about my cordless v11 torque Vaccum that needed a new battery that's only about a year and half old and they wanted me to purchase one for 200 dollars. I'm like I paid over 700 for it and it should last longer than that. I expect that from a cheap Vaccum but not from an expensive one. They did not care. I own several dyson products, blow dryer, fan, another Vaccum. Will not purchase another thing from them knowing this is how they treat their customers and stand behind their products. So buyers BEWARE!! Overpriced!!

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Your cordless vacuum cleaner has a two-year warranty if purchased new and that includes a battery replacement so you should not have to pay anything but received another replacement for the defective battery. That’s my understanding reading the warranty on new cordless vacuum cleaners from Dyson. Are you sure it’s a year and a half years old?

I most definitely bought it new and sadly did not keep the receipt as for one I didn't think anything would happen to my Vaccum and two I thought dyson would stand behind their products. It's the v11 torque. It's not that old! The fact that they are selling the battery for it and it cost 200 tells us its junk. This Vaccum cost me 800 dollars and dyson didn't blink an eye on losing me as a customer. I have several of their products. SAD! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sorry for this. Did you happen to register the vacuum cleaner on the Dyson site. They would have record of your purchase, and you would be covered. Have a feeling you didn’t do this. you might be from another country because looking up the battery for the V 11 it doesn’t cost $200.there are two types of V 11 batteries and the one below is to click on and the other one is a screw type not shown below

I am from America! I did not register it as probably most don't. The replacement is oh im sorry 150 what your cost lmaooooo. Still ridiculous!! I've talked to many dyson users now at this point and ALL have complained that this has happened to them. They will not be buying another one. I being a hairdresser and not being satisfied will be spreading the word as vastly as I can I assure you that! You not standing behind your products is poor customer service! Especially someone like me who has several of your products. Disgusting!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Scissors 

This sounds rather unusual to hear, if your machine is indeed still within the warranty period. If you did not ever register your machine at the time it was purchased, or it was not a direct Dyson purchase, the date of purchase is estimated, based off of the date the machine is manufactured, which we can tell from the serial number. If you have access to the store receipt or order invoice and need that to help prove your date of purchase, most merchants are happy to provide that for you. 

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

I contacted dyson directly before I came on here and gave them such info. I purchased from home depot. I'm done running circles with you people with your excuses. After paying almost 800 dollars for a Vaccum a person should not have to replace a battery after 2 years PERIOD!!! I however don't believe I owned mine that long but for the sake of an argument if I did 150 dollar battery is insane especially when it's a common problem with your product. I was quite happy with it till it was an issue. The fact that your company can not stand behind your products is the way you will lose all your customers and I will make it my mission to make sure they all understand this policy.

You understand everyone is trying to help you right?! 

If you’re still inside the two year warranty, Dyson will most likely provide you with a replacement part, free of charge. If you’re outside that period, then you’ll have to pay for it. Pretty simply in my book.

I agree its sad that the battery hasn’t lasted longer, but a warranty won’t last forever. This isn’t a common issue with Dyson, its common with all battery manufactures. They don’t last forever and the sooner people realise that the sooner they will stop complaining. It isn’t Dyson’s fault.. 

Read these...

1. V11 battery life question | Dyson Community
  2. How to maximise your cordless vacuums battery life | Dyson Community
  3. My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do? | Dyson Community
  4. V10 Cordless Battery Dies after 20-24 months?? | Dyson Community

@DavidTaylor is the resident battery expert. I am sure he’ll share more on their life expectancy. 

Other technology brands like apple charge way more for replacement parts and won’t even let you do it. You may be able to pick up an after market battery, but I doubt you’ll get anywhere near the life as you have here. 

If you’re angry on the cost of a replacement part, I get it. You’ve paid out a lot of money already. It’s sad that you’re trying to turn other against buying just because you’re unhappy. I’ve been with Dyson for over 10 years, love everything about them and my countless cleaners. 

Rant Over.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi

A very frustrating predicament. Battery failure is very unpredictable. Sadly it can’t be tracked back to just one cause, a combination of sources can influence the capacity, discharge and operation. It’s important to highlight this doesn’t just effect vacuum batteries but any that are rechargeable. 

Overcharge, undercharge, discharge, temperature, humidity, maintenance and prolonged impact/damage are only a few examples. This isn’t something you can track back. With all these possibilities, as a standard, heavy duty battery manufacturers will only ever cover them for a 1 - 2 year duration. 

These warranty terms mean you’ll be able to obtain a replacement within this time. If this window elapses, there is no requirement for any business to provide a replacement. The only solace manufacturers can really offer for purchasing replacements or investing in new technology, is that the battery development has come a long way in such a short amount of time. In some cases, they’ve doubled or tripped their capacity and runtime.

David.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Scissors 

It's not possible for us to provide an exact lifespan for any component, including the battery, as this will depend how each individual machine is used, stored and maintained. But, our cordless vacuums come with a free 2-year guarantee, and we would expect the battery to last at least that long. 

You can find some useful tips on getting the best out of your battery here: https://www.dyson.com/support/vacuum-cleaners/cordless/battery-care

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am from America! I did not register it as probably most don't. The replacement is oh im sorry 150 what your cost lmaooooo. Still ridiculous!! I've talked to many dyson users now at this point and ALL have complained that this has happened to them. They will not be buying another one. I being a hairdresser and not being satisfied will be spreading the word as vastly as I can I assure you that! You not standing behind your products is poor customer service! Especially someone like me who has several of your products. Disgusting!!!!

I purchased directly from Dyson and yes I did register. I learned that lesson long, long time ago. It saves a lot of sorrow and frustrations. I have registered my television with the manufacture, and I registered my sound bar and subwoofer as well, and I employ everybody to do the same thing.