Cordless V6 - Charging Problems - HELP | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V6 - Charging Problems - HELP

• 25 January 2023
  • 4 replies

So. our V6 Dyson is playing up, recently having a charge which has lasted all of 10 seconds on Max.  Charging light seemed to be on for very short times.

Checked out the trouble shooting on the website - remove charger point from dock and try charging again.  So I did, charged for about 2 and a bit hours or so, and with the motorhead on it lasted nearly 5 mins on Max.

Great I thought, replaced it in the dock, set to charge, went to use it next time and it lasted about 10 seconds.  SWMBO not impressed.  So charged it out the dock, and got same 10 second Max run time again.  That puzzled me.

Set it on charge again, charged for about 30-40 mins then the light went out.  Phoned up customer support (in Singapore?), she diagnosed a new battery needed.  After the call, tried it with the motorhead and lo and behold, lasted about 5 mins again on Max.  

So what is going on? 

Trying charging it again out the dock, been in for about 30 mins so far and still charging, but if its lasting about 5 mins on Max with an old battery, that sound like there is life in the old battery yet.

So what is my problem?

Customer support also said to switch off the charger when the battery is charged but an earlier question on this very subject here got a response from a Community Support Manager that they are designed to be left on?

Chris

icon

Best answer by Dyson Community Moderator 26 January 2023, 18:09

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Chris46 

Thanks for posing your question here. We can confirm that if you are getting roughly five minutes of use while using the boost/MAX mode, that’s normal. This mode provides a powerful boost of suction, for larger debris or those messes where you may find you need to make more than one pass with your cleaner head. We generally don’t suggest using this mode for everyday cleaning, as 1) it does offer significantly less run time than regular mode and 2) it can place more wear and tear on the battery as well as the motor of the machine.

You may find this article on charging and using your vacuum here to be helpful: My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do?

One thing I encounter rather frequently is an issue with the position of the charging pin in correlation to the dock, which can result in the battery not charging fully.

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Hi kellym, I think the problem is with the charger in the dock - charging outside the dock seem to be having good results so far.

At the moment I cannot see what is causing the misalignment of charger point in the dock, it all seems normal but something must be out somewhere.  Am keeping looking!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Chris46

Great to hear you’re experiencing a positive result when charging the machine outside of the dock. 

If you’re still having trouble identify the cause of misalignment in the dock, there are two resource that I believe will help. 

Both the machine’s user manual and our own YouTube channel have details on how to install and set up the dock. Referring to these may help you identify the cause. 

The user manual

Don’t worry if you don’t have a physical copy of your machine’s user manual, a virtual copy of it can be downloaded from the local website. 

Using the Guides and manuals link, select your machine from the options available and navigate through the page until you reach the ‘User manual’ section. Click on it to begin the download. 

Once downloaded, simply view the instructions on dock setup.

YouTube

The Dyson YouTube channel hosts a vast amount of content that can support on this process. As well as those that provide tips on using, maintaining, and getting the best out of your Dyson machine.

The embedded video walks through the process of removing the dock and reinstalling the cable.

I hope this helps. 

Stuart

Many thanks Stuart - will check out both the manual and the YouTube vid.

Chris