Cordless V7 - failed motorised head - how long should they last? | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V7 - failed motorised head - how long should they last?

• 25 April 2023
  • 5 replies

V7.

First one lasted 9 months and stopped spinning.

Replaced under warranty.

10 months later the new one has failed - it spins for about 5 seconds then stops.  I have taken off the brush head so there is no blockage - I'm looking straight at the grey spindle thing that spins.

Since I own two V7s I know it is not the vacuum itself - just the motors in the heads that fail.

What is the expected working life for one of these?  

icon

Best answer by Bob 26 April 2023, 15:44

View original

5 replies

Hello @dan1979 

We’re disheartened to hear that you’re having such frequent intermittent spinning issues with your V7.

To protect the motor, the brush bar stops spinning if something becomes tangled around the bristles at either end of the bar. Removing the brush bar and clearing it of any hair and debris should solves the problem.

You may find some of the tips in this article helpful: 

I hope this helps.

Jodey

I didn’t have intermittent issues.  Both times the head performed perfectly for 9/10 months and then stopped working all of a sudden. I have to remove long hair from it after every use so it never gets much opportunity to tangle.  

I think the issue with the current one may be related to its internal wiring. If I hold it up so the head is horizontal then it generally works.  As soon as I tilt it, it stops.  There’s no visible defects or any obvious reason why that should be the case.

A new one is on its way to me, so hopefully it lasts.

Seems I was correct!  The cables are worn where they bend with black barely having any copper still attached.

This has happened after 10 months of ordinary use and had not been dismantled or messed with until today.

Userlevel 5

Lift long owner of the stick vacs. !0 years of exclusive Dyson tech. V6, V7, V10 and V15. Light to heavy use on all. Never encountered this problem. I am sure it happened, otherwise there wouldn’t be a need for the warranty.

It occurring twice over several months, you’d be hard pressed to not look at this as general wear. If it were an inherent fault, more of us owner would say and it would happen after a shorter time.

The new part will see you with a 12month warranty. Lets hope it doesn’t happen again. 

I don’t know if the previous one failed due to the same reason as I got rid of it but the failure seems inevitable at some point - the cable has no slack there (maybe that varies a few mm between batches) and is subject to lots of flexing. 

New one arrived today so full marks on the warranty at least.  Pretty confident I can get the other one working again with some tinkering and a bit of solder.