Cordless vacuums design for those with arthritic hands | Dyson Community

Cordless vacuums design for those with arthritic hands

• 28 January 2023
  • 4 replies

The v12 cordless slim is beautifully lightweight - and the on/off button is good, but the release button at the top the wand attachment - is difficult to use if you have arthritis in your hands. It needs too much pressure within in a relatively small area. That means that I cant use the heel of my hand to press it, and using my thumb is painful.

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added)

Stuart 1 year ago

Hi @garlaw

Thanks for raising this as a topic of discussion. 

You’re right. Adding any form of lubricant to the Dyson could have a negative effect on its operation. This isn’t something we would recommend, in fact by doing so, there could be a risk of voiding the machines guarantee, especially if a faulty occurred as a result.

Over time and through continued use, this part should off a little more flex. If you do continue to have an issue, feel free to follow it up with another question or reply on this thread. I am sure our owners and member would be able to pass on their experience and advice.

In terms of the feedback around the machines operation, I have already shared this insight with our development team on your behalf. 

Thanks,

Stuart

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey Darlin! 

You know, my mother suffers with the same darn thing! No matter the amount of supplement she takes, she still finds it very tricky, some days are better of course.. 

My boyfriends sprayed lubricant on the button (whilst it wasn’t connected). It’s a little easier, but she does have her bad days now! I think it was WD4 something!

Lemon 🍋

I’m reluctant to spray WD40 magic juice on my 2-day old machine though. Dyson has a reputation for thoughtful design - and the lightweight, snap together vacuum is good. They just need to extend their user-testing to a wider range of people - that also increase their potential reach to a wider set of customers. Hopefully it that button will ‘give’ a little with more use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @garlaw

Thanks for raising this as a topic of discussion. 

You’re right. Adding any form of lubricant to the Dyson could have a negative effect on its operation. This isn’t something we would recommend, in fact by doing so, there could be a risk of voiding the machines guarantee, especially if a faulty occurred as a result.

Over time and through continued use, this part should off a little more flex. If you do continue to have an issue, feel free to follow it up with another question or reply on this thread. I am sure our owners and member would be able to pass on their experience and advice.

In terms of the feedback around the machines operation, I have already shared this insight with our development team on your behalf. 

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just to echo what our community manager @Stuart mentioned, I spend a lot of time in customer interactions and have received a lot of feedback regarding our cord-free machines. I have found as well, the more you use a machine, the more flexible parts will become - the bin latches seem to ease up over some time. I have had owners report that they require to use a bit of force to open the bin, and are almost fearful of breaking the release. This should not be a worry; the plastic components are stiff from the manufacturing process, and will become easier to maneuver over time.