Dyson V15 SV22 Charging Problem - Help (Solved) | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson V15 SV22 Charging Problem - Help (Solved)

Userlevel 2

Hi all, I have had a look around at other charging issue threads but mine seems a bit different. My V15 is 6 months old and has been working perfectly until now. Since I last used it and put it on charge I noticed that it was at only 25%. I used it today and ran it down to 10% and put it on charge for a few hours. the blue lights on the battery were flashing and the display on the Dyson showed 10% and charging. A few hours later, still the same charge levels. I have used a multimeter to check the output of the power adaptor and its only putting out 10v. Looking at the adaptor specs it should be putting out 30v. Can anyone confirm this please. I will send a WhatsApp to Dyson later in the week but just thought I would run this passed the community first.

Cheers,

Paul. 

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added)

icon

Best answer by higgsboyo 23 June 2023, 16:55

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi Paul. 

Is there anything written on your battery pack? I know there’s a silver sticker on mine, and I thought the voltage was written on it. I’m in the office today so won’t be able to look at it. 

I am wondering if this post might help: My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do?

Bob

Userlevel 2

Hi Bob,

Th plug says 30v but me checking with a multimeter without load isn’t a perfect test. I’ll check out the link but done most of the troubleshooting already. If you have the kit to check the output of your adapter that would be great.

Cheers, Paul.

Hi @higgsboyo 

Thank you for raising this issue with us.

As per the specifications on the Dyson website, the charger is meant to have a voltage of 30 volts. This can be the reason that your machine is not charging to full capacity.

To resolve this issue, you will have to contact our Dyson customer service team, and they will make sure to provide you with the best possible solution.

If you haven't already reached out to our Dyson Customer Care team, I'd encourage to reach out to discuss this with them. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Regards,

Userlevel 2

Hi @higgsboyo 

Thank you for raising this issue with us.

As per the specifications on the Dyson website, the charger is meant to have a voltage of 30 volts. This can be the reason that your machine is not charging to full capacity.

To resolve this issue, you will have to contact our Dyson customer service team, and they will make sure to provide you with the best possible solution.

If you haven't already reached out to our Dyson Customer Care team, I'd encourage to reach out to discuss this with them. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Regards,

Hi Chad,

After some more testing it does look as if there is an issue with the adapter. I unplugged the adapter for 24 hours and when turning it back on it was putting out 30v. I plugged it into the v15 and it charged fine from 10% to 25% and then stayed there. I checked the adapter and it was only outputting 18v. I left it unplugged for a few hours, plugged it back in and it was back at outputting 30v.

I have tried the Guides and Manuals link and when I am asked for my serial number, the number isn’t recognised. I will try a Whatsapp and see what happens.

If this gets resolved I will post back here to close the circle.

Cheers,

Paul.

Userlevel 2

Oh, and by the way, simply saying “refer to this documentation” doesn’t mean something is fixed so can you please remove the SOLVED status.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Oh, and by the way, simply saying “refer to this documentation” doesn’t mean something is fixed so can you please remove the SOLVED status.

Hi @higgsboyo - thanks for letting us know about this. 

I have removed the ‘Solved/Answered’ status. This will now reappear to our other members as requiring input. 

It would be great if you could share an update - If you’re still struggling with charging and if there was anything unclear on our My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do? article. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 2

Hi Stuart,

Top man, thanks. I have a rather painful Whatsapp chat going and when I have a fix sorted I will definitly update this thread.

Cheers,

Paul.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @higgsboyo,

Regarding your questions, it seems to me that there’s rather an issue with your battery’s internal BMS. Even though you check the output, that’s not really important. It usually means the maximum output that could generate. Plus, the wattage that your battery accepts is regulated at your battery’s BMS to maximize the performance and the lifespan of your battery.

It’s very similar with smartphones as well. Even though your adapter could generate an output up to 20W, it only sends that output on a certain level. That’s regulated in order to protect battery cells, and prevent them being overheated (Lithium-ion batterys vulnerable to extreme temperatures). 

Just contact the Dyson Helpline and I’m sure they would provide you the replacement battery. If persists, you would have to check your adapter then. However, adapters mostly did not have any issues on my personal experiences. 

Hope this could give you any ideas.

Userlevel 2

Hi @higgsboyo,

Regarding your questions, it seems to me that there’s rather an issue with your battery’s internal BMS. Even though you check the output, that’s not really important. It usually means the maximum output that could generate. Plus, the wattage that your battery accepts is regulated at your battery’s BMS to maximize the performance and the lifespan of your battery.

It’s very similar with smartphones as well. Even though your adapter could generate an output up to 20W, it only sends that output on a certain level. That’s regulated in order to protect battery cells, and prevent them being overheated (Lithium-ion batterys vulnerable to extreme temperatures). 

Just contact the Dyson Helpline and I’m sure they would provide you the replacement battery. If persists, you would have to check your adapter then. However, adapters mostly did not have any issues on my personal experiences. 

Hope this could give you any ideas.

Hi Jay,

Totally accept it could be a BMS issue but you have to start somewhere :)

I will update this thread when finally resolved just in case anyone else has a similar issue they can hasten a fix.

Userlevel 5

The stick vacs only have three main components with electrical parts. The handle body, the battery and the charger. BMS is in the battery, correct? If so, maybe replacing that will solve it? 

Userlevel 2

Update on this. I contacted Dyson via WhatsApp and after some toing-and-froing they sent me out a new charger. The vacuum cleaner charged to 100% so it looks like it could have been the charger after all (although I do not discount the BMS may have caused the charger to degrade).

I have smart plugs and sockets in the house so I have attached one to the charger and programmed it to only turn on once a week. That way I can put the cleaner back on the holder when I have finished with it and it will not continually take voltage from the charger. Lets see how it goes.

Cheers,

Paul.