Gen5 detect problems with carpet | Dyson Community
Solved

Gen5 detect problems with carpet

• 24 January 2024
  • 3 replies

We got our Gen5 detect today. It works fine until we reached our pile carpet in our living room. 

The motorbar stops working immediately. We set to eco Mode and tried the red switch on the motorbar without any effort. 

We tried our second cleaner the v12 which we got today too. With eco Mode it runs fine on the carpet.

We like the gen5 more, but the carpet is 90% of our living room. Is it possible to get it running? 

icon

Best answer by Jack 25 January 2024, 12:15

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @nockel,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and congratulations on your new machines!

The motorised brush bar is engineered to shut down for protection if it detects excessive resistance in use. But we would normally expect that switching power to Eco mode, and opening the debris gate using the red slider on the front of the Digital Motorbar™ cleaner head, would resolve this issue in most cases. 

Is the carpet in your living room very long pile, or particularly densely woven? If so, it may be that the Dyson Gen5detect™ vacuum just isn’t compatible with this particular type of flooring, and it works better to use your Dyson V12 Detect Slim™ vacuum in this room. 

Hi- I really struggle with the same. Got the Gen5 for Christmas and I get so frustrated during each use that I put it to the side in favor of my 5 year old Dyson (v3 maybe). I cannot comprehend how Dyson allowed the product to market when it is ineffective/inoperable on most carpet. Especially on a longer length area rug, but even mid-length, worse I can’t even vacuum a ruggable runner in a hallway without the machine failing.  This issue HAD to be identified during product testing.   

Dear Dyson, if I am still under warranty, which I should be,  can I exchange my Gen5 for something that works on carpet. 

Legitimate disappointment, which is sad, but tells you how much I value a functioning vacuum. 

disappointedly yours, v3 in NJ,

Brian 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Byoung0228,

Like all of our motorised cleaner heads, the Digital Motorbar™ included with the Dyson Gen5detect™ vacuum has been tested across a wide variety of hard and carpeted floor surfaces. As mentioned above, certain longer pile or densely-woven carpets or rugs may be more effectively vacuumed on Eco mode, with the suction control slider on the cleaner head set to minimum. 

If you continue to have difficulties on these particular carpets, please visit Dyson.com and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a conversation with our Customer Care team in your region. They’ll be able to run you through some simple diagnostic checks, and confirm what your options are to resolve this.