Cordless V11 torque head - Starts spinning, then stops | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V11 torque head - Starts spinning, then stops

• 25 November 2022
  • 19 replies

Hi,

I have a  V11 cordless vacuum. The bar in the torque head starts spinning for a second and then stops.

This happens when the vacuum is on eco or auto mode. When I switch to boost the bar keeps spinning.

Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Yaron

(Edited by moderator – Title amended) 

icon

Best answer by Stuart 19 December 2022, 11:23

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

19 replies

Is it happening on all floor types or just carpets? I have noticed that torque head sometimes stops spinning on some of my carpets, I assumed it was because they add too much resistence to the brush and some electronic safety mechanism kicks in to stop spinning.

It’s happening even if I hold it up in the air :)

Have you tried disassembling and reassembling the torque head?

There was a topic about fluffy head with similar symptoms:

Thanks, I read it. I cleaned it, took all the hair out, and then put it back so it’s assembled.

If t’s happening in the air. It might be either a blockage/wrapped brush bar or a bad connection. Could be worth checking the power pins. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @yaronkad 

Really sorry to hear of issue you’re still facing. We’d definitely like to ensure you get the direct help you need, as it seems like additional troubleshooting will be necessary.  

For further troubleshooting support, we encourage you to please get in touch via our local WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps.  To do this, simply click on our Guides and Manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

--TiaM.

Thank you Tia, I will try to get on a chat like you suggested :)

I'm currently having the exact same issue,  word for word.  Did this ever get solved? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Scorp006

There are only a few possibilities that I can think of which could cause this. A blockage in the machine, causing a reduction in airflow. A blockage in the head, causing it to stutter in use. An issue with the electrical pins, either in the wand or floor tool.

I’d suggest checking the steps on Dyson’s online Support site? This will allow you to run through a few quick and easy troubleshooting checks to help work out why this is happening. You’ll need your machine to hand to do this.

To get started, simply click on our Guides and manuals, selecting your machine from the on-screen options and selecting ‘Troubleshooting’.

Thanks,

Stuart.

The fix for this is a $111 main body. It is apparently an electronic failure that happens more than Dyson would like to admit. They charge for the main body when your issue is outside of warranty. Considering the price for a new one this is probably the best option. They do make it easy to order through chat, etc.

Did you succede in solving your issue? I have exactly the same problem. Was it a main body issue or a brush one? Thanks.

I have this exact problem. Brush bar spins for a second and then stops continuously eveb when held in the air.  Has Dyson actually got an actual answer for this? BTW the small brush bar attachment works ok, but although i have completely cleaned the head and checked the inside rotating bit works without the brish bar pushed in, as soon as I put the brush bar in again and try it it keeps starting and stopping. It appears to me to be a fault with the head itself, and it would be nice to know how to fix it without having to fork out about £80 for a new head.  Note the main machine has been completely cleaned, filter and all so don’t suggest nay fix related to the motor end to solve this problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for the follow up questions. 

Let’s see if we can help to point you in the right direction and provide some insight into some other diagnostic checks that can be undertaken. 

First, we need to look at identifying if the issue with the head or other elements of the machine. We can do this by:

• Process of elimination - Removing the Cleaner head and swapping it for another one with a motorised brush bar. The Soft Roller head would be ideal. 
    • If the Soft Roller head isn’t portraying the same symptoms, the issue can be tracked to the other cleaner head and therefore a replacement will need to be sought - The likely cause of this is an issue with the onboard PCB (Power Control Board) or motor.  
  • If this Soft Roller head is act in the same way, then the issue is caused elsewhere. 
  • Start by removing the wand, attaching the cleaner head & Soft Roller head directly onto the bin. If it doesn’t act the same, the most likely outcome would be a replacement, Wand.
  • If they both continue acting the same, and there is no visible damage to the bin’s power connectors or that on either tool, then the likely scenario would need to be replacement Main body (trigger component) - This is less common.

Secondly, now we’ve identified the cause, a replacement part would need to be sought. This can be done by either following the instruction on our How to: Order spare parts and accessories or by contacting the Dyson helpline and speaking to an expert. To speak to an expert, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Any part purchased outside of the vacuum’s guarantee, will come with its own 12-month guarantee. That way, should this new part fail within that time, a new one can be obtained free of charge. 

I hope this helps. 

Stuart

Thanks for your response. We have tried another motorised brush bar and it works ok so the issue seems to be with the head itself. I’ve ordered a replacement.  What I’m not so sure about is whether this is a product defect as a number of others seem to have reported this behavior. If so, I hope that Dyson are working on improvements!

Thanks for your response. We have tried another motorised brush bar and it works ok so the issue seems to be with the head itself. I’ve ordered a replacement.  What I’m not so sure about is whether this is a product defect as a number of others seem to have reported this behavior. If so, I hope that Dyson are working on improvements!

Hi,

Did your replacement High Torque Motorhead fix the issue?

I got a brand new High Torque Motorhead and it still spins for a few seconds and then stops just like the old one.

I tested my V11 with the following with results:

1. Main body + Mini motorised tool (Boost, Auto, Eco) = spinning/working
  2. Main body + Wand + Mini motorised tool (Boost, Auto, Eco) = spinning/working
  3. Main body + Torque Drive Motorhead (BOOST ONLY) = spinning/working
  4. Main body + Wand + Torque Drive Motorhead (BOOST ONLY) = spinning/working

5. Main body + Torque Drive Motorhead (Auto, Eco) = NOT spinning/working
  6. Main body + Wand + Torque Drive Motorhead (Auto, Eco) = NOT spinning/working

Does anyone know if this means I need to get a new Main Body?

Hi @philfranklin030656 

Did your replacement High Torque Motorhead fix the issue? I got a brand new one and it still spins for a few seconds and then stops just like the old one.

I tested my V11 with the following with results:

1. Main body + Mini motorised tool (Boost, Auto, Eco) = spinning/working
  2. Main body + Wand + Mini motorised tool (Boost, Auto, Eco) = spinning/working
  3. Main body + Torque Drive Motorhead (BOOST ONLY) = spinning/working
  4. Main body + Wand + Torque Drive Motorhead (BOOST ONLY) = spinning/working

5. Main body + Torque Drive Motorhead (Auto, Eco) = NOT spinning/working
  6. Main body + Wand + Torque Drive Motorhead (Auto, Eco) = NOT spinning/working

Does anyone know if this means I need to get a new Main Body?

@yaronkad How did you fix the problem? my V11 is doing exactly what you described.

The replacement head fixed the issue.

Just wanted to update everyone, I called customer service and they connected me with an engineer and advised to try a new Main Body. So I agreed and ordered 1 for £78 - it fixed the issue! 

I had this problem with the v6 stick. 

I disassembled the head and removed the brushes. New battery.

The motor in the head cuts out a second after turning on the unit despite it not driving anything.

Removing the head and replacing with a brush gives normal operation.

I bought a third party head unit and after replacement it is working perfectly, which shows that the main unit is fine.

Conclusion is that there is some power monitoring and control logic in the main unit that doesnt like a degraded head motor, the weak link in the chain and intolerant power source logic. 

Really surprised that the support team at Dyson havent been able to troubleshoot this by now, 5 models on. Sounds like controlled obselescence to me, am I wrong?