V7 intermittently only runs for 5-10 seconds | Dyson Community
Solved

V7 intermittently only runs for 5-10 seconds

• 9 January 2023
  • 7 replies

My V7 purchased September 2020 has an issue where it regularly (maybe every third use) cuts out after 5-10 seconds. It does this on both low and max. There is no pulsating, it just cuts out. 

I don’t believe it to be a battery issue. I discovered a way to get it working, and once I’ve done that it will run for the full time even on max so it can’t be battery related? It clearly still has capacity.

I did a full clean down so the filters are all completely cleaned. I rinsed out the filter and then left it to dry on the radiator for 3 days.

The only way I can get it working is: put it back on charge, turn the charger off and on again, then hold the trigger while it’s docked for 20 seconds. Once 20 seconds is up I release the trigger and use the Dyson as normal and it runs fine.

What could be causing this cut out and what is it about holding the trigger that clears the issue? 

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added)

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 12 January 2023, 16:45

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Franhaselden 

I’m sorry to learn of the issue you’re having with your V7. When the machine cuts out, what color LED light are you seeing at the base of the handle?

Sometimes, the issue can be easily resolved by checking where the machine is being charged. If the machine is being charged in the wall bracket, the charging pin may be out of alignment with the machine, which would cause the machine to get a poor contact with the machine, which would result in lower charge levels. Try our My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do? article for more insight. 

If you can please take a look at your charging assembly, please push the silver charging contact toward the back of the charging bracket, and that will help loosen the pin and let you remove it from your machine. Please plug it directly into your machine and see if the blue solid light is sustained. Once you are finished, please unplug the pin from the machine and push it back into the socket on the wall bracket until it "clicks" into place. Once you hear that click, the charging pin will be back in alignment and your machine should charge properly.

@Franhaselden. No clue why you’re seeing a result when holding the trigger. Maybe there is a battery issue or you need a new handle? Have you tried their web help Support | Cordless vacuum cleaners | Dyson?

@Franhaselden. Either an issue with the battery charging, like @kellym suggested or something else. If I remember, our v7 had a set of LED lights. It looks like these can be used to diagnose issues and arent just to indicate charging. Support | Troubleshooting | Dyson

Solid blue when I take it off charge. Flashing blue after it cuts out. 

Don’t think it’s an issue with charging. As I said, as soon as I do the trigger-hold for 20 seconds with it plugged in I can then run it on max for over 5 minutes no problem. 

@Franhaselden Are you always running it in max mode? 

It is isn’t the charger, the logical answer might be the trigger or battery. Did you check the rest of their online help for an answer there? 

They recommend a replacement battery when I’ve followed the flashing blue button. 

Yes I saw that. Battery annoyingly out of stock. I will give it a go when they’re available, but I’m going to be annoyed if spending £65 doesn’t fix it as to me it doesn’t feel like a battery issue when the battery clearly still has capacity!

@Franhaselden. If you’re sure that it isn’t the battery, then it could logically be the Trigger/Handle component. You could consider ordering both, returning the one that doesn’t fix it. If you're in warranty, the team at Dyson should replace these for free.

Have you tried partscentre.co.uk? They state on their site that they’re Dyson Official Stockists. They might have stock?