Cordless V8 - 15 second cut off | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V8 - 15 second cut off

• 10 October 2022
  • 13 replies

MY WIFES V8 CORDLESS VAC RUNS THEN SHUTS OFF IN 15 SECONDS -- ALL PORTS ARE CLEAN AND CHARGER INDICATOR LIGHT SHOWS CHARGING 

IS IT THE BATTERY OR AN OVERLOAD ON THE MOTOR THAT CAUSES THE SHUT DOWN ? 

(Edited by moderator – Tags added/Title amended)

icon

Best answer by Dyson Community Moderator 8 December 2022, 23:08

View original

13 replies

Hi @WALT

Believe it or not, this isn’t the first time this question has been asked on the community. 

The CM added it as a common question to the Cordless area some time back. Maybe his post could help you here? I’ve linked it below. 

The short of it, it’s caused by a blockage in either the filter or component of the machine. 

Pete.

@WALT 

The v6 Animal used by our cleaner had an almost identical problem. 

I’m ashamed to say that we hadn’t cleaned the filter for 12+ months. After giving it a wash, in the words of our cleaner, “It’s working like new”! It’s now something I carry out every other month.

Maybe my example could help in your case? 

Kirby. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there @WALT,

Thank you for contacting Dyson Community. 

So sorry to hear that your Dyson V8™ unit is prematurely shutting off and we’re keen to offer additional guidance. Based on what you’ve described, it’s very possible that your unit is in need of a replacement battery.  This would be more likely if you’re also not experiencing pulsating on/off sounds as described in the previous article shared by our community members. 

To discuss this further, please get in touch via our local WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

We truly appreciate your support of Dyson and thank you for your time! 

Thanks, 
Tia

Thanks … I ordered a new battery yesterday 

You are so lucky.  I need a battery too.  Be waiting since October, still out of stock!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Waltlu May we ask which country you reside in, and what model Dyson you own? We do sometimes have batteries in stock, though they may show out of stock on the website. We’d be happy to check into that for you.

United States.  V8 absolute? It's purple and gray.  Only a problem with battery when switched to turbo

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Waltlu 

Thanks for the follow up. 

Is is possible that what you’ve encountered is caused by a blockage or unclean filter. 

If the onboard sensors detect a reduction in air flow, usually caused by a blockage or uncleaned filter, the machine will begin to pulse and shut off after a short period. This is to protect the motor from overheating. In the instance you’ve described, I believe through the increase in air watts, caused by you switching into the highest power setting, the machine is detecting this.

The great news is, there is an easy fix for this and it only requiring some minor mainainence on your part. Our My cordless vacuum cleaner is making a pulsing noise, what does this mean? article can walk you through how to resolve this, as well as providing helpful link to our online support and YouTube channel. If you wanted to head directly to our online support, simple use our Guides and manuals link. Then select your machine from the options available and navigate through to the ‘Troubleshooting’ page. Here you will find a host of selectable options designed to support you and your machine.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Thanks, 

Stuart

I have been I'm contact with Dyson through Email.  After answering the questions about what my machine is doing it was determined that I need a battery.  One of the questions was about the pulsing.  No obstruction and the filters are clean.  So I guess I need a battery can you help me get one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Waltlu 

You can purchase a replacement battery for your Dyson, right on the Dyson website, in whichever country you reside in. If the email troubleshooting indicated that the battery would be covered under your machine’s 2-year guarantee, the order can be placed directly with our experts either via phone or chat; or in most instances, by replying to the email that determined this was the cause of the issue you are having.

Let us know if you have any other questions/concerns.

I appreciate your reply. The problem is that the battery I need has been out of stock since my machine was diagnosed via Email, in October, as needing one.  I signed up to be notified when available through the email and again during a chat regarding this issue.  In checking now it remains out of stock.  I bought your product with the thought of not needing a new vacuum every two years.  But now I am looking at the prospect of needing a working vacuum.  As much as I hate the idea of adding to the landfills by purchasing a cheap vacuum, buying and expensive Dyson seems to just increase the perceived value of the trash heap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Waltlu,

If you do indeed have a V8, it does show to be out of stock on our US website, but I can assure you, we do have this part available - it just cannot be ordered on the website. For assistance with placing that order, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation. Or, we also have a live chat option on our website, and our phone Helpline agents can place an order, too. 

Your latest response has been helpful.  After you informed me that a battery cannot be purchased from the Dyson website I was successful ordering through Chat.