DC33 Beater Bar not spinning in hard floor mode | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

I have an older DC33 that was working just fine, then we found that it wasn’t picking up very good  Our current house has mostly hardwood floors, and it was in hard floor setting and on the hardwoods when we discovered this.  I checked it out and found the beater bar was not spinning.  I made sure it was free of any hair or strings.  It will spin when running in carpet mode, but the moment you flip it to hard floor mode it stops and it hard to spin by hand.

I thought perhaps it was a clutch issue, so I replaced the clutch/belts with a brand new Dyson unit, and the problem was not resolved at all.

I don’t know what to do now?  When I had the beater bar off as I replaced the clutch, I verified that it spins very freely on it’s own.

Hi @Tmorelock73,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

My apologies if I’m misunderstanding your question, but on the Dyson DC03, DC04, DC07, DC14, DC27 and DC33 upright vacuums with the brush control clutch mechanism, the brush bar is not supposed to rotate when set for hard floors:

Dyson brush control

Using the brush control to put your machine into Hard floor mode will shut off the brush bar to avoid scattering debris when cleaning hard floor surfaces, and to protect delicate flooring. From what you’ve described it sounds like the clutch and brush bar are working exactly as they’re supposed to.

If your machine isn’t picking up well, we’d recommend ensuring the filter(s) have been thoroughly washed and allowed to air dry fully, to check your machine’s airways for any hidden blockages, and to check that the internal hose on the underside of the machine is undamaged and correctly connected. 

Our online support guide will help walk you through the areas to check.

Hope this helps, but let us know if you need further guidance once you’ve given this a try!