Would Dyson OnTrac headphones work on Windows? | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

I am considering buying Ontrac headphones, but I would need them do be working with my PC too - especially to use them for online calls so I need both speakers and mic do be working. Does it?

Hi @dziuk,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

There should be no issue using Dyson OnTrac™️ headphones with a Windows PC, I can confirm I’ve used them this way myself! 

Dyson OnTrac™️ headphones use Bluetooth®️ version 5.0. This includes Bluetooth®️ LE that connects to the MyDyson™️ app and enables all the tracking and monitoring features, and Bluetooth®️ Classic for audio playback via your phone, tablet, laptop/PC, TV etc.

You can find out more about the connection process here:

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately I can’t manage to connect the headphones to my laptop so I can also use the microphone.

It is only recogniozed as an audio output device.

Your guide, like all the others, conventiently only explain the connectivity to a smartphone and the MyDyson app but no word on connectivity to a laptop.

Hi @glacatus,

The exact process for connecting your Dyson OnTrac™️ headphones to a PC, laptop, smart TV or similar will vary depending on the brand, model, and operating system.

You should be able to connect to your laptop via Bluetooth after putting your headphones into pairing mode - then once paired, to select them as both the sound output and microphone input device via the appropriate audio settings menus on your system.

When correctly configured you should be able to use it like any headset!

I’m on Windows 10 currently. I can connect the headphones via Bluetooth but only the Audio works. There is no microhone device appearing in my list of recording devices in Control Panel.

In the “modern” Windows 10 Settings app there’s “Audio Ontrac” under the “Audio” section, with a status of “Connected music”.

During the pairing process there is also a “MyDyson OnTrac” device that appears. If I pair that one (when it works), it appears under “Other devices” with the status “Paired” and that’s it. I can only remove it from the system, I don’t know what it is or what it does, I couldn’t notice anything after adding it.

Can these headphones function as a conference headset and use both microphone and audio on a laptop?

Hi @glacatus,

When pairing with your laptop via Bluetooth, use the ‘OnTrac Audio’ option. Then please make sure you’ve selected the device as a ‘Headset’ and not just as ‘Headphones’ within your laptop’s system menu. 

As long as you’ve followed these steps, you should have full use of your headphone and microphone functionality via your laptop.

selected the device as ‘Headset’ and not just as ‘Headphones’

Long time Windows user but I don’t know where this is done 😅

I’ve just repaired my OnTracs with Windows and they are automatically recognised as audio and connected mic. I would suggest going into the bluetooth settings (within the windows settings) and remove the device and add it again from there.

I have added and removed them many times so far but they’re always only connected as audio device.

Are you on Win 10 or 11 by any chance?

Strange, I just tried it on win 10 and win 11 and the procedure is the same with the same results on both machines.

I wonder if it would it matter if mine’s a Windows installed under Boot Camp on a Mac?...

Possible, I do not know how your mac handles the mic of the ontracs through bootcamp to windows.

Is it possible to use the mic on the mac os?

I never tried. I’ll give that a go and report back.