Does anyone know the HP09 current draw? | Dyson Community
Solved

Does anyone know the HP09 current draw?

• 25 March 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m considering buying an HP09. We would use it as supplemental heat in our bedroom. I’ve read that in full heat mode it is 2050 watts. At 120 volts that amounts to a 17 amp current draw. My bedroom outlets were wired with only #14 romex and they are on a 15 amp breaker. I assume that means just the HP09 on full heat would be tripping the breaker. Even if the outlets had been wired with #12 romex and were on a 20 amp breaker, if I were to turn on a 4 amp TV set, I’d still be tripping even a 20 amp breaker. I guess I’m trying to figure out if I’m going to end up wanting to run a dedicated 20 circuit for an HP09 before I purchase one. Does it recommend a dedicated circuit in the manual like many household appliances do in the manual?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 27 March 2023, 17:40

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

4 replies

Hey @Rbits 

This does sound like a bit of a pickle. We won’t be able to answer this question for you, as we’re unable to provide electrical advise - this is where a qualified electrician would need to step in. What we can do is provide information on the machine and how the machine operates.

As a first stop, I’d recommend looking at the user manual, as it would provide you with accurate information on the machine. To download this, please click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to your model and select the manual. 

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’. 

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page. 

@Rbits search online for the compliance leaflet. The one for this model will hold all the wattage/voltage information you’ll need. 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Fishtown57 I think you might mean the Technical Specification leaflet.

HP09-PROFESSIONAL-TECH-SPEC-GB

Thank you for the links to some specs on this. I had a hard time believing that there wasn’t any published in the user manual for it. First I heard it was 2000 watts, then I heard 2050. Now that samwise pointed out the HP09-PROFESSIONAL-TECH-SPEC-GB document, I see that it it’s only 40 watts. Wow, what a difference! OK, I’m kidding. This document states 230 volts, and I live in the US, so I was using 120 volts for my math. It seems to me that “max input power” would have to be in full heat mode, with max fan speed, along with any other features that can draw power all on at he same time. This number HAS to be higher than 40 watts, even at 230. I don’t even care about the mnfg. or other agencies documents anymore. I want an end user of an HP09 who owns a clamp on ampmeter to tell me the voltage of their unit, fire it up on high (if you own an ampmeter, you know what that means), and tell me what the reading is. I’m expecting it to be somewhere around 17 amps. This shouldn’t be so hard to figure out. If you do this, please make a YouTube video of it so the rest of the world has access to this important information without having to jump through so many hoops. So far, I’ve had communications with 4 Dyson experts, and not one has told me how many amps it draws on high.