Dyson cool+Heat+Formaldehyde Model - Cooling and heating Amp feedback | Dyson Community

Dyson cool+Heat+Formaldehyde Model - Cooling and heating Amp feedback

• 5 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Cooling Mode: Perhaps Dyson should not call it a “Cool and Heat” model as it is not an air conditioner and it also does not have a Peltier unit for cooling. Perhaps “Heat and Fan” might be a better description. It cools due to the wind chill on your skin from a fan action.

Heating Mode: I used an Arlec WiFi relay with energy management function and connected it to a 10A socket and the Dyson was then plugged in to check its consumption. I slowly increased the fan speed using the heating mode and saw the Amps creeping up well beyond the 10A for which the unit is rated until the Arlec let go a blinding flash and now lost the Amp and Watt measuring capability. The Arlec was rated to 10A and blew, so there is a definite engineering problem with the Heat mode.  

(Edited by moderator - Tags Added/Title Updated)

2 replies

Hi @domwild 

A great observation. One that has been made before and answered: Why isn't my Dyson fan/purifier cooling my room down? | Dyson Community. Dyson’s purifiers don’t claim to be air conditions or to reduce the room temperate.  

Heating Mode. By designed, heating requires a higher electrical input, equalling an increase in amps than that of cooling. I don’t own this machine, so haven’t seen the technical specifications. Searching the internet, I’ve located those for the GB website: Dyson Purifier Hot+Cool Formaldehyde | Technical Specification. Maybe this can help?

If you’re seeing a higher amp draw then that specified, it might be hard to pin point the cause. Logically, one would think the machine would be the fault. Consider in this occasion the plug, the Arlec, any use of adpators or converters. If you can unequivocally say that it is the Dyson, the two-year warranty should set it right. 

I’d recommend contacting Dyson and speak to them about an inspection, repair or swap. 

Pete. 

You are correct, BUT Dyson is here playing Buzz Word Bingo by calling it “Cool and Heat” and it simply should be “Fan and Heat”. It implies that Dyson is using some sort of cooling, like a Peltier element for cooling.

The Dyson is simply drawing too many Amps, i.e., more than what is on the compliance plate and that makes it dangerous.