HP04 Hot + Cool Standby Power | Dyson Community
Solved

HP04 Hot + Cool Standby Power

• 1 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

With current rise in electricity prices, I have bee checking the standby power consumption of devices and found concerning results from my HP04. The spec says that standby power is <0.5W, however mine measures as 20W. This is plugged in with devices switched off, no continuous monitoring active.

This is at least 40x the spec and at today's prices means I will pay £60 per year just to have the device plugged in.

I am very interested to know what other people measure.

(Edited by moderator – Tag added) 

icon

Best answer by Stuart 3 October 2022, 09:21

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Plug1 

Very interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that my Dyson could be drawing extra wattage when in standby. Double checking the guide, it certainly shows less than .5W. 

I’ve got an older power meter, so it may not be as accurate. That said, testing both the heater purifier and cool purifier we have. The former .45, while the latter is .38. No where near the draw you’re seeing.

What is it your using to record 20W? Have you tested directly in the mains in multiple plugs, on different circuits? 

I’d be keen to see what others are seeing..  

Userlevel 1

Hi @DavidTaylor,

Thanks for your data :-)

According to the spec: https://www.dyson.com/content/dam/dyson/for-business/business-refresh/docs/us/air-treatment/pure-hot-cool-tech-spec-us.pdf

It should be less than 0.5W, so even your readings are about 10x what it should be. I am using a digital power meter that I have calibrated on other devices, so I am fairly confident of my 20W reading.

It would be great to see what others measure.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @DavidTaylor,

Thanks for your data :-)

According to the spec: https://www.dyson.com/content/dam/dyson/for-business/business-refresh/docs/us/air-treatment/pure-hot-cool-tech-spec-us.pdf

It should be less than 0.5W, so even your readings are about 10x what it should be. I am using a digital power meter that I have calibrated on other devices, so I am fairly confident of my 20W reading.

It would be great to see what others measure.

@Plug1 you’re welcome. 

However, I admit that I placed the decimal point in the wrong location. Readings are .45 and .38 respectively. 

Below that which stated by Dyson.

David. 

My hot+cool standby wattage is 0.49W. 

Out of interest, I tested the wattage when the unit met the Auto Target. I record 18W. 

My manual shows that the machine being turned off is equivalent to standby. @Plug1 are you recording  a 20W draw with the unit switched off?

If you are, I’d suggest contacting an electrician or even Dyson directly. Certainly doesn’t seem right.

Userlevel 1

Thanks both for you info. @WoodenMan it is sounding like there is something wrong with my machine. The 20W is when the machine is powered off; so the display is off and the fan is off and it should be just basic wireless/control circuits running. From what you have reported, this is clearly not normal. I will investigate further and report back.

Userlevel 1

I disassembled and disconnected all the circuit boards I can access and still get 20W, I am thinking the most likely problem is with the power supply, which I think is in the base and difficult to get at :-(

The slightly surprising thing is that it seems to work fine apart from the high standby power.

I would be interested in any thoughts from someone at Dyson. Ours is probably 3 years old now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Plug1,

Thanks for posting a question. Great to see the input from you and the other Community members on this subject. 

This is indeed a strange one. Reviewing all of the technical document, user manual(s) and safety information I have access to, I can confirm that when in standby (off) the Wattage draw from your Purifier should be equivalent to or less than 0.5W.

In your case, as you are seeing a much higher reading, it would lead me to believe there is an underlying issue with the product. As we need to put the safety of all of our owners at the forefront, we can’t share or endorse advice that encourage owners to complete electrical repairs on their machines. Any repair needs to be carried out by a qualified electrician. 

To discuss this further and arrange an inspection with Dyson, please can you get in touch via our local WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1

Hi @Stuart, as a qualified electrical engineer, I fully understand your concerns with safety. I have to say that I am very impressed by the design and quality of manufacture of my purifier. I will follow up as you suggest.