Air Treatment - High Pitched Buzz / Noise - Help! | Dyson Community

Air Treatment - High Pitched Buzz / Noise - Help!

• 16 December 2022
  • 26 replies

Hi All - I purchased a PH04 humidifier/purifier at the beginning of this year, and it has been a huge headache for me. I normally wouldn’t complain but with the amount of money I spent I think I deserve a better result.

I am currently on my 4th unit - each one has after 3 developed a relatively loud high pitch buzzing noise, that I think can most accurately be described as comparable to the sound a cicada (more like 1,000 cicadas) makes. I use the purifier as a fan/humidifier overnight night in my bedroom, and the sound occasionally becomes loud enough to wake me up. It is most definitely not normal operation, because the fan makes an acceptable amount of noise for several weeks up to a few months before it starts happening.

2 of the units replaced outright right away, and the third one I sent to the repair center where it was found to be unrepairable and replaced again. While I do appreciate the replacement machines, it seems to me that the problem is widespread if 4 in a row have had the same issue. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I’m one of those strange people that NEEDS a fan to sleep at night, so the cycle of not having one for a few weeks at a time is very frustrating 

(Edited by moderator - Tags added, Moved to new Category)

Anonymous 1 year ago

Hey @Steve318a 

I’d say you’ve had a really unlucky time here. We’ve had dyson’s for over a decade, starting all the way back with their AM02 and DC35. We’ve stuck with their purifiers in recent years, owning the DP04 and HP07.

I do remember a subtle noise on the DP04, if we ran it for over 10 hours it would make a slight noise, getting louder. This would stay, until we turned it off and back on again. I learnt this was from using the continuous monitoring option (which is always on) and night mode together. Turning this off in the App fixed it.

Thankfully this wasn’t/isn’t on our HP07 and the new Dyson Purifier Hot+Cool™️ Formaldehyde purifying fan heater that we got in the cyber deal. Admittedly they’ve come along way since our first model. 

Maybe this is something only present on the 04 series. I’d push for an upgrade if I were you. 

Kirby. 

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Steve318a 

This is really disheartening to hear. Can you let us know which country you’re in? 

Hi Kelly - I’m in the US. 

Hey @Steve318a 

I’d say you’ve had a really unlucky time here. We’ve had dyson’s for over a decade, starting all the way back with their AM02 and DC35. We’ve stuck with their purifiers in recent years, owning the DP04 and HP07.

I do remember a subtle noise on the DP04, if we ran it for over 10 hours it would make a slight noise, getting louder. This would stay, until we turned it off and back on again. I learnt this was from using the continuous monitoring option (which is always on) and night mode together. Turning this off in the App fixed it.

Thankfully this wasn’t/isn’t on our HP07 and the new Dyson Purifier Hot+Cool™ Formaldehyde purifying fan heater that we got in the cyber deal. Admittedly they’ve come along way since our first model. 

Maybe this is something only present on the 04 series. I’d push for an upgrade if I were you. 

Kirby. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Kibbleb - Did you forget to share the CM posts. Tut Tut!

Using Continuous monitoring | Dyson Community

Using Night mode | Dyson Community

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it is something with this model but I’m not sure there is something I can upgrade to, the PH04 is the top of the line fan/purifier as far as I know.

I also don’t think it’s the CM feature - I manually set the fan to 8 and the humidity to 50% every night. I know there will be some noise, and I want there to be fan noise - but this sounds like friction between mechanical parts, almost like there is a bad metal bearing that is worn out and screeching. 

Also, the sound does not happen all of the time. It will happen for 30 seconds to a minute at a time and then go back to normal and continue to happen intermittently . The problem is that it’s loud enough to wake me up sometimes so I’m not really willing to just live with it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello @Steve318a 

Please get in touch via our local WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Best wishes,

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I’d like to say that I too am having this issue but I have the latest model TP09.  I’m on my 2nd replacement unit and after several emails I’m no longer receiving a response.

I’m appalled that this is happening and after seeing many others with similar issues, don’t believe it can be permanently resolved.

At this point I’m not even sure what to do.  I’ve had my 2nd unit for less than 6 months and the original for only about 1 month.  All I know is the machine that was suppose to improve my life is causing me more anxiety than I can handle and I shut if off more often than it’s on.  Very sad.

Hello @Steve318a 

Please get in touch via our local WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Best wishes,

Hi Kelly - is that the same process as clicking on the “live chat” function? That is what I’ve used previously, and I tried to investigate further twice and was told someone would be contacting me via email with that can help/provide options, and no one ever reached out either time. Can you let me know if the whatapp is something different that the live chat? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Steve318a WhatsApp in the US is different than live chat. If you visit the dyson.com website, on the lower right-hand corner you’ll see a purple chat bubble. That will connect you to our digital team who can assist with product troubleshooting. 

Just wanted to follow up on this since it has been a few months. I sent an email in December to AskDysonUS@Dyson.com referencing this thread, but never got a response. I have just been living with the issue since then. I will say it happens less frequently then my previous machine, but I still do wake up to the noise somewhat regularly.

Super disappointed by the whole situation. I’ve spent thousands on Dyson products over the past 15 years and honestly expected better.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Just wanted to follow up on this since it has been a few months. I sent an email in December to AskDysonUS@Dyson.com referencing this thread, but never got a response. I have just been living with the issue since then. I will say it happens less frequently then my previous machine, but I still do wake up to the noise somewhat regularly.

Super disappointed by the whole situation. I’ve spent thousands on Dyson products over the past 15 years and honestly expected better.  

Alright @Steve318a.

Read the mod interactions on this post: High Pitch Sounds Dyson Purifier

“”

I wanted to share the outcome of our engineers investigation. 

Following their review, they’ve stated that without having the unit(s) for assessment, an accurate diagnosis of the route cause cannot be offered. However, in analysing the recordings, kindly provided by our members, they believe a potential cause is a bearing making an intermittent high-pitched noise.

Our service workshops are equip to diagnose an issue of this nature and there are recommended and refined fixes in place to stop it from occurring post repair. In addition, our engineering and manufacturing process is continuously improved, reducing and helping to eliminate potential issue from occurring on new models.

In conclusion, the best course of action for anyone in this situation, is to continue or start a new conversation with our helpline experts, who are best place to recommend the correct action to in the future. 

“”

Charlie. 

Common problem, mentioned also here by myself and other people on Reddit and other social media channels. Dyson pretends that the problem doesn't exist and eventually replaces the fan with the refurbished one. I'm waiting for another brand to hit the market which will also create some fair competition and lower the price and will force Dyson to treat their customers with true care.

I have 4 of these purifiers and ALL of them make that exact sound that everyone describes. Have to blast it high for a while and maybe the sound will go away for a short while. But at this point it’s just unusable.

Common problem, mentioned also here by myself and other people on Reddit and other social media channels. Dyson pretends that the problem doesn't exist and eventually replaces the fan with the refurbished one. I'm waiting for another brand to hit the market which will also create some fair competition and lower the price and will force Dyson to treat their customers with true care.

Hi All - I purchased a PH04 humidifier/purifier at the beginning of this year, and it has been a huge headache for me. I normally wouldn’t complain but with the amount of money I spent I think I deserve a better result.

I am currently on my 4th unit - each one has after 3 developed a relatively loud high pitch buzzing noise, that I think can most accurately be described as comparable to the sound a cicada (more like 1,000 cicadas) makes. I use the purifier as a fan/humidifier overnight night in my bedroom, and the sound occasionally becomes loud enough to wake me up. It is most definitely not normal operation, because the fan makes an acceptable amount of noise for several weeks up to a few months before it starts happening.

2 of the units replaced outright right away, and the third one I sent to the repair center where it was found to be unrepairable and replaced again. While I do appreciate the replacement machines, it seems to me that the problem is widespread if 4 in a row have had the same issue. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I’m one of those strange people that NEEDS a fan to sleep at night, so the cycle of not having one for a few weeks at a time is very frustrating 

(Edited by moderator - Tags added, Moved to new Category)

Exactly the same problem.  A very high pitched noise I’d say is somewhere in the 16 kHz to 20 kHz range.  It renders the fan unusable without very think over the ear type headphones and the volume turned up.  Frustrating because I love the product but simply can’t use it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Dyson should fix or replace - have you called them to arrange something? 

Yesterday my TP07 started doing the high-pitched whistle after one year. I installed a new filter (not needed, but I did) and cleaned it thoroughly; and it stopped for about a day, then the sounds started again. 

Last year I bought my first TP07, and within 20 days, it started the high-pitched whistle, but I was lucky because it was returnable. 

Having TWO units within a year making this exact high-pitched sound isn’t a coincidence; it’s a common internal noise problem that the company, I'm sure (no doubt), is undoubtedly aware of.

Although I am under warranty, I do have some issues.

1. Why would I purchase a new unit to be given a refurbished replacement if it can’t be fixed? That policy NEEDS to be changed ASAP when it comes to this issue.

2. The replacement is only under warranty for the remaining period of the original. That policy also NEEDS to change when it comes to this particular issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I had this happen to mine and I got a full replacement.

I’m on my second one now. Thinking maybe it’s the Dyson air filters I tried after market ones but made no difference. Glad to see I’m not alone though. My second one is doing the same thing it’s annoying as hell and wakes everyone in the area up. 

Just got the TP7A and woke up to high pitch sound. I do not have wifi. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Just got the TP7A and woke up to high pitch sound. I do not have wifi. Any suggestions?

Good to rule out if its a temporary noise. Other have run it on full power (10 fan speed) for an hour. It disappeared after that. If that fails, try calling Dyson. They’ll either repair a fault or replace it.  

Hi Everyone. 

I purchased the Dyson Purifier Cool TP7A a couple of months ago now. It has been running fine up until a couple weeks ago whereby it now makes an intermittent high pitched sound whilst running the fan at what seemed to be higher speeds, such as 10. However, I’ve noticed it’s now making the same intermittent sound when the speed is set to 5 too. 

Anyone experienced this before? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi Everyone. 

I purchased the Dyson Purifier Cool TP7A a couple of months ago now. It has been running fine up until a couple weeks ago whereby it now makes an intermittent high pitched sound whilst running the fan at what seemed to be higher speeds, such as 10. However, I’ve noticed it’s now making the same intermittent sound when the speed is set to 5 too. 

Anyone experienced this before? 

If the noise is anything like described above, Dyson should repair or replace the machine for you. It could just be the onboard sensors. Read this before reaching out to Dyson: My machine is making a humming noise, what does this mean? | Dyson Community

OMG...i also have this issue and thinking about giving it bach/get a exchangeunit. but i guess this won´t solve anything if im reading your story.

Does your PH04 make a louder noise on low speeds than on high?  If the high pitched sound goes away on high speeds, that may be the same issue we had with two of our PH03 and PH04.  Thankfully, the issue for us did not start with the fans when new.  That helped us find the problem is since it started only when we changed the filters.

I think the issue is the seal around the filters.  At least, for us it is.  One indication is that the noise stops even on low speeds when we release the filters from the fan.  

Solution:  improve the seal.  Release the filters, wipe the dust out of the fan where the filters fit into the body, and put a bit of hand soap on the rubber seal around each filter.  The noise is gone.

Exactly the same issue here with the Dyson Purifier Cool TP7A, got a replacement which had the same issue as well, I’ve now sent back that one and got a email saying “unfortunately could not repair your Dyson machine. We will be in touch to provide you with a solution.”

This is very disappointing as I saved up to get this and hope I don’t end up going through multiple replacements all with the same issue as this does sound like a manufacturer fault and they should e re-called.

Will update with what Dyson say as I want a model which doesn’t have this issue.

Ps. I’m in the UK, house humidity is kept around 50% and temp 21c