Using a Purifier with Essential Oils | Dyson Community
Solved

Using a Purifier with Essential Oils

• 9 December 2021
  • 1 reply

I have an ultrasonic essential oil diffuser in the same room ( which is same idea as humidifier / with essential oils added to water) 

after a minute - the purifier starts flashing all possible alarms about pollutants.  Fan goes to 10 if in Auto mode.. 

Apparently these two devices are not intended to work In Tandem?  Hopefully it does not mean that the dispersed essential oils in the air are bad for you?!. 

(Edited by moderator – Moved to a new category)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 9 December 2021, 16:45

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Similar issue - I have an ultrasonic essential oil diffuser in the same room ( which is same idea as humidifier / with essential oils added to water) 

after a minute - the purifier starts flashing all possible alarms about pollutants.  Fan goes to 10 if in Auto mode.. 

Apparently these two devices are not intended to work In Tandem?  Hopefully it does not mean that the dispersed essential oils in the air are bad for you?!. 

Hi @Olegus 

Thanks for the follow up question. 

From my experience, even when essential oils and water are mixed and evaporate through a diffuser, their molecules do not bond. Meaning that whilst the Purifier shouldn’t detect the water molecules at a distance (assuming you are using distilled water), the same cannot be said for those of essential oils.

Essential oils usually contain minerals, which I’d say in your case are being detected by the Purifier and are causing the Air Quality to spike. 

There are a couple of things I can suggest that might help mitigate the machine detecting and reacting to these minerals. 

1. Separating the machine and finding the happy medium in your home where the diffuser does not directly affect your Purifier.
  2. Check with the Manufacture of the diffuser and the essential oils to see what their recommendations are when using it in conjunction with the Purifier.
  3. Instead of using Auto mode, try the machine on a manual setting. Whilst the Air Quality may spike, if you are happy to accept this, the machine will not auto adjust the fan speed to remove the detected mineral from the air. 

If you’ve not already, I’d also suggest reading our ‘What are the common household pollutants?’ and ‘Using Auto mode’ articles. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Stuart