Help - My curls not lasting - Ideas/Suggestions welcome! | Dyson Community
Solved

Help - My curls not lasting - Ideas/Suggestions welcome!

• 5 September 2023
  • 12 replies

Help! I have had my air wrap for almost a year now and I have not cracked the code. I have fine thick hair and and trying to get the gorgeous curls I see everyone else having. The dyson curls look great at fist but never hold more than 30 min. I have tried pinning them up and a multitude of different products trying to get them to last. How do I get the multi day curls everyone is talking about? I am about to give up since currently my $10 curling iron is creating a better longer lasting curl than my $650 dyson.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 7 September 2023, 15:25

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

12 replies

I have the same problem and I thought I possibly wasn’t using it correctly, but I recently met someone who had her hair curled at a Dyson roadshow and she said the curls looked great, but dropped out after 10 minutes. It obviously works for some people so I’m wondering if there are just some hair types that don’t take. I can curl my hair with cheap curling tongs, but bought the Dyson because I thought it would be less likely to damage my hair. I do love drying with the brushes, it’s just the curls that are disappointing.

Heyyyy!! OMG Yes! Super tricky to get your head around and I’ll admit, my curls dropped out to begin with, but I persisted an they now last all day! Here a few posts that really helped me out to begin with!

1. This is my own - Airwrap - Show me your Curls! PLEASE!
  2. Dyson Airwrap™️ multi-styler - Curling - GRWM TikTok | Dyson Community
  3. Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: Golden rules for curl retention | Dyson Community
  4. Dyson Airwrap™ multi-styler: How to curl your hair | Dyson Community

The trick, start with wet hair, don’t over product and use the cold hot to set each curl in place! If you’re struggling still after, give each curl a shot of hair spray. 

Good luck! 😍

Great resources and advice by @CurlyJane  ! (name checks out :)

I’ll add one more bit:

Start with damp hair, and make sure the curled hair is completely dry before you switch off. A damp curl won't hold. Finish each curl by holding cool shot until the air runs cool to help set the style. If you have particularly fine or straight hair, the 40mm barrel will probably create more of a blow-out style, rather than a curl. Try using the 30mm instead.

I have tried all of these suggestions and I’m still having trouble getting them to last even half a day. The curls look great when I take them off the air wrap but fall out within an hour maybe two tops.

I have tried all of these suggestions and I’m still having trouble getting them to last even half a day. The curls look great when I take them off the air wrap but fall out within an hour maybe two tops.

Maybe try using a higher heat for a little longer and the cold shot for the same length of time. Drop out can be caused by humidity, moisture etc..

If your hair isn’t wet enough or if you’re using a heat spray before wrapping, it might be the cause. Really, hard to tell.   

Are you near a Dyson store or have a local hair dresser you can pop into. Maybe they can give you some hair advice on retaining the curls? 

Maybe try using a higher heat for a little longer and the cold shot for the same length of time. Drop out can be caused by humidity, moisture etc..

If your hair isn’t wet enough or if you’re using a heat spray before wrapping, it might be the cause. Really, hard to tell.   

I am using the highest heat possible and have held the cool shot till the curl is completely cold sometimes upwards of 20sec.

Are you near a Dyson store or have a local hair dresser you can pop into. Maybe they can give you some hair advice on retaining the curls? 

There are no dyson stores within driving distance and no hair stylists use them around here yet

Heya!!

So I have a few questions running through my head right now! Focusing on hair health and the products you use! If you’ve recently bleached your hair, use a silicon based hair product or find your hair to be brittle/dry, I doubt this will work until you’re hair regained some elasticity and start retaining moisture. Over-heating in the past can have the same effect!

Wet healthy hair is more pliable, and can be styled easier. If it isn’t in the best shape you’ll have to overheat it to get it to set into a style. Dyson products don’t use excessive heat, so will never reach the levels required.

If you can’t set it by following their instructions, or through using product to fix it in place, I guess it might just not be right for your hair. 

x

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Heya!!! Team Sally here!

We’ve got a super easy guide to help you get the best results.. We hope! 

1. Start with Wet hair:

Make sure your hair is wet before before using the Airwrap. Overly dry hair can be more challenging to style effectively.

2. Section Your Hair:

Divide your hair into small, manageable sections. This will make it easier to work with and ensure that each section gets evenly curled.

3. Choose the Right Barrel:

The Dyson Airwrap comes with different barrels for different curl styles. Select the one that matches your desired curl type (e.g., barrels for tighter or looser curls). Start small and level up to the bigger barrels.

4. Prepping Your Hair:

Before curling, you can apply a heat protectant spray to safeguard. It's always a good practice to protect your locks!

5. Use the Right Heat and Speed Settings:

The Airwrap has different heat and speed settings. Start with a medium heat setting and gradually increase it if needed. Higher speeds work well for straighter hair, while lower speeds are better for wavy or curly hair.

6. Curl Away from Your Face:

For the best results, curl your hair away from your face. Hold the Airwrap vertically and wrap a small section of hair around the barrel, starting near the root and moving towards the tip.

7. Be Patient:

Don't rush the process. Hold the hair on the barrel for a few seconds (usually around 10-15 seconds) to ensure a good curl.

8. Release Carefully:

Gently release the hair from the barrel by unwrapping it in the same direction you curled it. Avoid pulling or tugging.

9. Set with Cool Air:

After curling, use the cool shot feature to set the curl in place. This helps the curls last longer.

10. Practice Makes Perfect:

Curling with the Airwrap can take some practice, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out perfectly the first time. Experiment with different techniques and settings to find what works best for your hair type.

Remember that practice and patience are key to mastering this! With time, you'll become more comfortable and confident! 

We hope this helps 😍!

x

I have had my Dyson air wrap for a while now, and I am finding no matter what I do my curls do not even last 10 minutes, I have tried holding the curls for longer, using and not using the cold shot, having damp hair but nothing works. I do one side and by the time I’ve done the other side the side I have done the curls have completely gone and my hair goes straight, I even have naturally curly hair and I just don’t understand what I’m doing wrong ? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Moderation Edit - Moved to Similar Post)

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I have had my Dyson air wrap for a while now, and I am finding no matter what I do my curls do not even last 10 minutes, I have tried holding the curls for longer, using and not using the cold shot, having damp hair but nothing works. I do one side and by the time I’ve done the other side the side I have done the curls have completely gone and my hair goes straight, I even have naturally curly hair and I just don’t understand what I’m doing wrong ? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Moderation Edit - Moved to Similar Post)

Heya!!

Would be great to hear if the advise we shared above helps! 

x