DP04 Maintenance | Dyson Community
Solved

DP04 Maintenance

• 30 October 2021
  • 14 replies

My DP04 HEPA is starting to produce a high frequency sound on speeds 1-3 and it’s been getting worse over time. Is there a way to fix this issue? I’ve had the unit for a little over a year so it seems very premature to have to replace it. 

(Edited by moderator – tags added)  

icon

Best answer by Stuart 3 August 2022, 15:13

View original

14 replies

I’ve had this issue with my machines as well, and unfortunately I don’t think there’s a simple solution. I’ve had to replace both my PH02 and HP01 a few times now whenever the noise becomes unbearable again. I’m actually about to send out my fourth PH02 for a replacement because of the same reason. 

Every time I contact support for the issue there’s nothing they can offer outside of a replacement unit. I really wish Dyson could introduce a fix for it, or at least offer some sort of extended warranty since it basically means you’re out of luck once the factory warranty expires and they don’t want to replace it anymore. I suggest sending yours in as soon as you can. 

When you say send in the unit, do you mean for them to take a look at or to try and get a replacement? I agree though, they should extend the warranty on these units. This situation is very similar to a recall in the vehicle world. Make it right Dyson. A $500 fan should last a decade

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @sllpm8

Lets see if we can get this sorted for you.

There are a couple of different things we can check to get to the bottom of this: See below;

1. Have you looked at our ‘What are the different Purifier decibels/noise level?’ article? Specifically the Continuous monitoring section.

I am wondering in your case if the noise is caused by the onboard sensors. Might be worth          turning the Continuous monitoring option off and testing to see if the noise is still there.

1. There are a few quick and easy troubleshooting checks online which can help work out why this is happening. Please visit our Troubleshooting guide  and follow the onscreen options.

Should the online support guide not resolve this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks,

Stuart

When you say send in the unit, do you mean for them to take a look at or to try and get a replacement? I agree though, they should extend the warranty on these units. This situation is very similar to a recall in the vehicle world. Make it right Dyson. A $500 fan should last a decade

In my case I haven’t been able to drop it off at a service center because I do not have one near my location, but so far every time I’ve contacted Dyson they just immediately offer a replacement unit. 

With each replacement unit I get about 1-2 months of usage before I start to get a rattling / humming / high-pitch noise at low speeds. I doubt I’ll be buying another Dyson after having these two units, they’re great while they work but if I’m spending $900 on a purifier I shouldn’t have to deal with support every few weeks/months for an issue that’s been ongoing for years (at least judging from other posts I’ve seen online). 

My DP04 HEPA is starting to produce a high frequency sound on speeds 1-3 and it’s been getting worse over time. Is there a way to fix this issue? I’ve had the unit for a little over a year so it seems very premature to have to replace it. 

(Edited by moderator – tags added)  

No, turning off the continuous monitoring does not work. Mine started humming close to a year of use. It appears this is a common problem with the Dyson fan. Are there any other fix apart from resending. I think for the price we paid, Dyson should be just automatically sending replacement every year.

I'm having the exact same issue. Anything I can do?

Had the same problem in my TP02 unit. I replaced the internal fan motor and it has been quiet as new for about a year now. Cost about  $12. Not a misprint!

I did some research and it seems like there are some fixes. Got any details on yours though?

Given the price, this shouldn’t really be an issue. 

First, before I retired I was a trained electronic technician, so I have a lot of experience repairing highly technical equipment down to component level. That being said, this was pretty easy. The only uncommon tools were some small torx- head screwdrivers and some small metric wrenches. After removing the old motor, which had the manufacturers part number on it, I googled the part number then ordered the replacement from AliExpress. Exact replacement plugged right in. Already had the correct multi-pin connector installed. No soldering required. Don't attempt if you don't have any experience working on electronics, as you should take precautions handling esd sensitive components.

I’ve got all those tools and a bit of experience. Sounds like the big takeaway is open it up and google the part numbers I find. Thanks. 

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Also, after I fixed mine I found some how-to's to repair these on youtube.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Following a motor failure last year, and after a series of calls to Dyson UK, I concluded the repair price was over what I wanted to pay.

I had an idea on how to fix it, watched a handful of YouTube videos and spoke to an electrician, I decided to go ahead and do it without Dyson.

Replacing the motors was pretty straight forward and it’s still working great today. 

The only caution I’d heed is the same that was passed to me by Dyson in the UK. Following a self repair, they wouldn’t offer a further repair or service if it become faulty in the future. Something to do with any future issues potentially being caused by me. Also, that the repair should always be done by a qualified electrician. 

Hopefully your able to fix it. 

David. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @DavidTaylor

Thanks for highlighting the advice given by our service team. 

I can confirm that the use of non-genuine Dyson parts could invalidate your Dyson guarantee. This is because we can’t ensure these parts have been developed and tested to the strict performance and safety criteria our own parts are required to meet.

In the instance where a replacement part is required, we can help you find the right one, and confirm if it’s covered by your Dyson guarantee.

To get started, we’d suggest reaching out to our team via WhatsApp. Our team can then run through some quick and easy troubleshooting checks, the result of which are then input into a diagnostic tool, which helps to pinpoint the exact part that needs replacing. 

Simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks, 

Stuart