Insight - Lifespan of washable filters | Dyson Community

Insight - Lifespan of washable filters

Badge

I own a Dyson DC14 Animal.  It has been great for our family and worked for a long time.

It obviously comes with the washable filter that is separate from the HEPA filter that it also contains.

I was curious on what are people’s different estimates for the lifespan of these pre-motor filters.  For mine, it sits on top of the canister.  I realize that we should wash them by directions at a period of once every month to once every six months depending on the degree of usage of the vacuum.

I am not talking about how often we should wash them.  I am talking about what are people’s rough estimates on how long they would last until they need to be replaced.  I guess we actually have to look at two items here because there is a screen in the plastic insert that the washable filter goes into which I know can clog over time as well.

Thanks for the help!

(Edited by moderator – Tags added and Title amended) 

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

Hi @FDMaguire 

I’m not quite sure I understand the question you’re posing here.

Are you asking how long the pre-filter in the DC14 should last, if other believe or have knowledge of it lasting for a prolonged period or out of all the Dyson vacuums on the market, how long the pre-filter lasts in all of them?

In each case, I don’t think you’ll find an exact answer. Based on individual experiences, subjective opinions, I personally don’t believe there will be a one to fit all.

I can say, from experience in owning a DC25, DC41 and Big Ball, it is all relative to the amount of use, conditions and maintenance. I expected each of those to have last at least five year, which is the length of the warranty and in each case they did. We still have all three and they are still going strong. 

Pete.

Badge

Hi Peter,

I am asking how long people have decided to keep their pre-filter before buying a new one.

I think you are 100% right that people will have different numbers on this depending on their preferences and amount of usage.  I am just looking to hear from folks when they decided it was time to get a new one.

The old adage that, while a few people can be off key, a very large group essentially is on key to the degree that matters because the off key people cancel each out.

You data point of 5 years with them still going strong is good to hear and more than I had when first posting.  Hoping to hear from others as well as what the community manager has as their thoughts as well.

Thanks,

Flack

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @FDMaguire,  

My husband and I use a DC50 in our second home. We spend 6 months of the year there, using the Dyson very intermittently. Maybe once or twice a week.

The filters are usually washed at the end of our holiday season and the machine is put in storage. If we have family visit, they use it. This isn’t as offer as it used to be.

We’ve not had an issue with the performance or filters. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I forgot to say that the DC50 was gifted to us in 2014.

Hi

Interesting question.

I wouldn’t expect there to be a one size fits all answer. I do suspect this to be why filters aren’t covered under the warranty, them being subject to wear & tear.

Only ever being a cordless owner, upgrading regularly, I can’t comment again the upright vacuums.

I can say that we had a replacement filter for our V8 due to a rip in the outer shell. Dyson very kindly replace it free of charge. 

Kirby. 

Badge

Thanks Emma and Kirby given me your thoughts here and the timelines you have had the washable filter.

Badge

Also, fully concur that this is not a ‘one size fits all’ kind of question.  But, it is very helpful to hear about others own experiences as additional data points.

Hi @FDMaguire 

While it may not be a DC14, We’ve had our V10 since 2018. 

We’ve not needed to replace the filter. Washing it monthly, rather than the 3-6 advertised in the manual seems to have worked for us. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Darlin. 

Our local cleaning service use a dyson. 

Believe it or not, they’ve never washed the filter, and they’ve had it on the truck for it 5+ years! I’d truly hate to imagine what that looks like!

We on the other hand, wash ours monthly. At the most every other. It’s almost like a ritual! 

Lemon 🍋

Badge

@Fishtown57 and @YellowLemon  -  Both of you have inspired me to start doing this much more frequently.  I purchased two new ones so it is no big deal to swap in the fresh one and let the one we just washed sit for a very long time until we are ready to swap it back in.  This will make my wife happy because she has no downtime with the vacuum.  We are all using it a good bit here with three kids and a dog.