Cleaning/replacing parts of V15 (cat’s smell) | Dyson Community
Question

Cleaning/replacing parts of V15 (cat’s smell)

• 30 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I mistakenly used my V15 cordless Dyson to regularly clean up cat litter in the bathroom. After about a year, it developed an unpleasant odor.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to eliminate the smell from my V15.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

•    Dismantling certain parts and cleaning them with vinegar and other cleaning agents.
    •    Vacuuming up baking soda and ground coffee.

I’m becoming quite desperate and am considering replacing specific parts like the main tube, filter, and main container, if they are available for purchase separately.

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 5

I’ve found smells linger in the filter. If you don’t wash it regularly enough it might still be there! If it hasn’t gone after the last wash, replace it. Maybe try wiping out the plastic bin. I’m sure they have a video on where to wash. Let me find it! 

Userlevel 5

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Ziachu,

Sorry to hear your vacuum has picked up an unpleasant odour from the cat litter. It sounds like you’ve already tried cleaning the machine in the ways we’d normally recommend in this situation. It might not be possible to totally eliminate the odour but if you can pinpoint the source to a particular part, you may find replacing this will help. So if you haven’t already tried washing or replacing the filter with a new one for example, that could be worth a try.

Tapping out any clinging dust from within the cyclone pack may also help. With the bin base open, hold your machine over a bin and tap firmly on the cyclone pack with your hand - this should help shake loose any clinging fine dust particles which may also be trapping an odour.

I hope this helps improve the situation for you a bit!