Cordless V10 clogging - Help | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V10 clogging - Help

• 12 January 2023
  • 10 replies

I always have problems with my V10 blocking as shown in the photo. I have a spare filter and regularly clean the machine. This blocks like in the photo every couple of uses and I end up having to blow the dust ect back through the machine to clear which is unhygienic. Dyson support online is non-existent with 24hr replies which tell me to use the troubleshoot guides which don’t cover this problem. Please help!

(Moderation Edit - Moved Category, Updated Tags)

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 14 January 2023, 07:45

View original

10 replies

This is a lot of dust! I don’t even think I’d suck up that much in a week of cleaning! Where are you using it? 

I wouldn’t say the filters at fault. Might be possible you’re sucking up too much dust/ground dirt that the machine can cope. I’ve only ever had to pick this part out when I’ve sucked up stuffing from the dogs toy. 

Two observations.

If the dirt exceeds the max line, it will block. Emptying it regularly matters with this design.

Dismantle the machine regularly to remove anything trapped.

Hi 👋 

If this is an accumulation of dust over time and not a result of the bin overfilling, it would stand to reason that there is either an obstruction/blockage elsewhere in the machine which is causing this or that the amount of debris you are vacuuming each time, is in such large accumulation it is getting stuck. 

Try following the blockage instructions on the community post. 

An observation I can share, the cleaner head should help break dirt/dust into a more manageable size. This isn’t the case when using a tool to suck up large piles. 

Jay

Thanks all. We have a dog, but got this as it says it’s suitable for pets.

I’ll give it a good clean today but have done this before and never takes long for it to start blocking in this manner.

can I get comments on how long people leave between cycles before they do dismantling and unblocking. Less than 10, 10-20, 20-30, >30? I just feel the machine requires a lot of looking after. My wife doesn’t use it as she says it’s too much faffing about. Can only be used on the lowest setting it it pulses

Hi

I thought I recognised pet hair! Yes. I have a Siberian Husky (larger breed), who moults profusely. I use to emptying the bin after every clean, otherwise it was getting blocked. I even had to increase their grooming and remove as much as her hair as I could before vacuuming. 

On a trip to London last year, I took a chance and visited their store. One of their reps demoed me their pet grooming tools. This has saves me what feels like hours of pet care. Pet Grooming Kit

If you don’t want to outlay the money quite yet, I’d highly recommend doing a little more pet grooming before using the vacuum, especially if they’re shedding. This should help with the hair. 

I forgot to answer the question. Sorry.

It is really dependant on what I vacuum up. Some times I can go 20 cleans without having to check anything. Sometimes it’s less. I’d say I check the brush bar every week or two. remove hair, tangled cotton etc. 

Jay

I’ve given it a good clean this afternoon. It was blocked in the brush head. It amazes me how much and how often it gets blocked.

of more interest though

i noticed that the seal at the bottom of the bin was not sealing properly and I wonder if this has been interfering with the airflow?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @gifford4671 

Almost certainly. Having the ability for air to escape in an environment that should be sealed, will negate some, if not all of the effects caused by the Cyclone Technology. 

If the air is escaping, it is unable to be pulled through the chambers of the cyclone, which create centrifugal force. Circulating the air flow and driving the heavier particles, debris and dust down into the bin. Should a loss of suction be introduced, it could therefore effect the cyclone spinning and stop heavier debris to be pulled into the bin. This I suspect is why you are seeing the pulsing at higher levels. 

David. 

Thank you for helping my to understand that David. I did wonder if this was the issue.

Thanks all, I’ll update after a few weeks use as this may be useful for other community members

Hi @gifford4671  glad to see that you were able to identify the issue. I did note you said you use replacement filters. We would like to mention that if your replacement filters are not purchased direct from Dyson they can also affect the use of your machine. If you have any other issues we are glad to help. 

Thanks Teanna - the spare filter is from Dyson. Sorry to say that Dyson support have not been helpful at all