Cordless V11 continues running when trigger released - Suggestions? | Dyson Community

Cordless V11 continues running when trigger released - Suggestions?

• 7 January 2023
  • 6 replies

The screw in the centre of the handle that holds the battery in place no longer secures the battery fully up into the handle - which means that occasionally when the trigger is released the unit runs on continuously until the battery is shoved firmly upwards into the handle once more breaking the circuit.

There’s nothing wrong with the battery otherwise so it’s inappropriate to purchase a new one to overcome a simple mechanical problem of this nature.

Is there a reliable mechanical fix to overcome this design flaw please?

(Moderator Edit - Title amended to include ‘Cordless’, Moved Category)

6 replies

I’d bet money that replacing the failing screw would fix this!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yeah. I wouldn’t say this is a design issue. Looks to be a broken screw. Just stop using it until you’ve fixed it.

It’s nothing to do with the screw in question - that isn’t broken or damaged in any way.

There are 3 screws that hold the battery in place: 2 hold the front securely in place as the act in-line with the front trigger guard. The third is located through the stock, just below the trigger mechanism. This acts laterally to retain the rear of the battery in place vertically. Unfortunately the weight of the machine when housed in the wall-charger pivots around the front of the battery unit which consequently exerts a significant force on the rear of the battery that is perpendicular to the third screw. This screw passes through a circular lug at the top of the battery unit and secures into the main body of the V11 behind the lug. The issue is that over time the perpendicular force place in the third screw by the weight of the vacuum in the wall charger has gradually elongated the once circular hole in the battery lug which means it’s no longer held securely - there’s a degree of hysteresis now which is enough to stop the trigger cutting out when released.

The mechanical fix required is to reduce the size of the hole in the top lug with a small metal bush that won’t wear in the same way as the plastic of the battery unit. The other alternative is the replace the whole battery unit for the thick-end of £100 but this fault with then just re-occur over time as the replacement battery wears in exactly the same way.

I stand by my assertion that this is due to poor design which causes the means to secure the battery unit in place to inevitably fail in service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi

Having I spent time working for a well-established washing machine manufacture, I can speak first-hand of the importance of the product and component quality.

Each individual component has to be to sourced from a reputable manufacture, meet material testing criteria and pass a various stress, tensile and hardness tests, both in laboratory and real-world conditioning. Most of which are recognised as a standard in manufacturing globally.

Although these tests identify flaws and weaknesses in designs, there is still a percentage of components that fail. This is referred to as the Acceptable failure rate and varies between 1% - 10%. This acceptable rate provides an indication to manufactures on components that require repair or replacement overtime. They can use this data in a variation of ways, such as forecasting stock requirements, component pricing, overall cost, and support level. I would like to think this is as low as possible due to their market stake and portfolio of machines, Dyson have a lower-than-average failure rate.

How do this help you? I am not sure it does, it is more of an interesting note. A reason as to why the component on your V11 might have failed and an insight into why businesses produce certain components for their portfolio over that of others.

I do know that Dyson openly advertise the stress testing they subject their products to. I might suggest that in this occasion you’ve been unlucky and had a part fail, where others have not. This in my view doesn’t necessary mean that this part will always fail or that a new design is needed.   

David.

David - interesting, thanks. I suspect this was an unforeseen failure mechanism because without the additional stress placed on the components by the repeated application of the weight of the unit when placed in-situ on the charger then the current design would be entirely adequate and very unlikely to fail in this way. 

I’ve used InstaMorph mouldable plastic to effect a repair - that stuff is great and super-easy to use. It only took a matter of minutes to heat up the material and mould it into the battery lug. It sets rock-hard very quickly once it cools down so you do need to be reasonably quick. Anyway, we’ll see how long the repair lasts but the initial indications are good so fingers crossed that’s problem solved!

Userlevel 1

any help for same issue on v15?