Dyson V10 Cutting out on high, but working on low - help! | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson V10 Cutting out on high, but working on low - help!

• 2 September 2023
  • 5 replies

• Novice Member
  • 2 replies

Ok, so this is rather strange.

My Dyson V10 is cutting out after one pulse on high or medium setting, but it’s working alright on low. I took it to bits and gave it a deep clean, still the same.

Now  the funny part begins. it doesn’t work on high/medium, but if I block the suction hole with my hand, it’s working fine on all settings. As soon as I take my hand back, it stops again.

Any ideas anybody?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 4 September 2023, 22:15

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

5 replies

@papa

The only cause of the pulsing you mentioned, as a machine design feature , is a blocked airway. Because yours pulses on the high suction mode, but not the others, suggests that there is a partially blocked airway.

Some places may not be obvious. Please load up this video and follow along:

If the issue persists after that, there may be a deep clog in the cyclone. This would be due to the machine sucking up something very fine en masses, like powder or flour, etc.

In this case, the main body/cyclone will need to be replaced. If that part is needed, please contact support for help in ordering the “main body/cyclone” for your Dyson V10.

Hi Adam,

It’s not really pulsing, just cuts out after half a second (if you keep pushing the trigger, nothing is happening), then doesn’t react to the trigger for a while.

I also thought that something is blocked, so I took the cyclone apart and cleaned it, there is nothing there that would cause a blockage.

What really intrigues me is, that it works fine (on all 3 power levels) when I block the airflow with my hand (which I only discovered by accident). I don’t think it would behave like this, if the problem was some sort of clogging

This also eliminates battery as the problem.

It’s almost like issue with pressure sensing, if it even has something like this.

It just doesn’t make sense.

Any other Ideas?

Cheers

@papaWith that in mind, it’s either the “main body/cyclone” or the battery.

Here’s how we can tell:

1. If a blue light on machine flashes  as this happens, it’s the battery.
  2.  If not, it may be the trigger button itself, which is part of the main body/cyclone. (also, if you replace the main body/cyclone - this will also mitigate any possible clogs there. For instance, if there was a deep clog from the machine sucking up something as small as fine sawdust or flour.
  3. Also, if you see any solid red or blue lights as this happens, the main body/cyclone is the culprit.

As a last resort, I’d recommend visiting our online support guide, which you can find here: https://www.dyson.com/support. Here, you’ll be able to run through a few quick and easy troubleshooting checks to help work out why this is happening. If it can’t solve it, you’ll be directed through to the contacting one of our customer service representative for further help. 

Thanks,

Thanks Adam,

There is still few things I can’t understand and possibly it is me not explaining things correctly, so here is a link to video demonstrating what is going on 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIj39QG3oWNZZvHk6S6ItuK03NVaSqbH/view?usp=sharing

Now, my reasoning is as follows:

1. this can’t be the battery, because when I block the flow with my hand (as in the video) it is sucking as it should and doing so continuously . If the battery was a problem, blocking the flow would cause higher resistance and therefore cause more strain on the battery making it fail, right?.
  2. As I mentioned before, I’ve taken the cyclone apart (my V10 is passed any warranty so I have nothing to loose) to the smallest pieces possible and cleaned everything, so it is as clean as when I first bought it. But putting that aside, if it was a blockage that is causing the problem, why on earth further blocking the flow would actually make it working?
  3. I think I also demonstrated that the trigger is fine.

I’m not saying your diagnosis is wrong, but I’d like to know your rationale behind it. Could you please expand on it just a little?

I know I’m a pain, but I’m one of those annoying people that actually try to understand what is going on.

I’d be extremally grateful.

Cheers  

Thanks Adam,

There is still few things I can’t understand and possibly it is me not explaining things correctly, so here is a link to video demonstrating what is going on 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIj39QG3oWNZZvHk6S6ItuK03NVaSqbH/view?usp=sharing

Now, my reasoning is as follows:

1. this can’t be the battery, because when I block the flow with my hand (as in the video) it is sucking as it should and doing so continuously . If the battery was a problem, blocking the flow would cause higher resistance and therefore cause more strain on the battery making it fail, right?.
  2. As I mentioned before, I’ve taken the cyclone apart (my V10 is passed any warranty so I have nothing to loose) to the smallest pieces possible and cleaned everything, so it is as clean as when I first bought it. But putting that aside, if it was a blockage that is causing the problem, why on earth further blocking the flow would actually make it working?
  3. I think I also demonstrated that the trigger is fine.

I’m not saying your diagnosis is wrong, but I’d like to know your rationale behind it. Could you please expand on it just a little?

I know I’m a pain, but I’m one of those annoying people that actually try to understand what is going on.

I’d be extremally grateful.

Cheers  

Faulty cyclone in my opinion, if it were an issue with the battery or handle mechanism, the battery/power issues that Adam pointed out towards would be apparent. As you’re not seeing this, the only conclusion could be that of the cyclone/bin with a fault.

With your hand over the end, it should pulse (Indicating the air can’t escape). As it isn’t pulsing, I’d say the air is escaping elsewhere. Have you checked the seal or look to see if there’s a gap/damage?